From: Richard Hector on
Hi all,

I'm using a lenny netinst iso that I've used successfully before, a few
weeks ago, on a CD.

I'm now trying to install into VirtualBox OSE, which I don't think is
relevant.

Shortly after it asks me if I want security and volatile repos, which I
say yes to, it hangs. Switching to tty4 I see that it's decided that the
upgraded packages it wants to install are untrusted, and is waiting for
me to type yes or no, which I can't do through the dialog (or whatever
it is) interface - or the gui install, for that matter.

It seems to me there are two problems here: the mirror appears to have
unsigned packages, or packages for which I have no certificates, and the
installer has no way to detect this problem, and either abort or pass
the question on to the user.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I guess I should file a bug
against the installer?

Richard

On 20100311_210440, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a lenny netinst iso that I've used successfully before, a few
> weeks ago, on a CD.
>
> I'm now trying to install into VirtualBox OSE, which I don't think is
> relevant.
>
> Shortly after it asks me if I want security and volatile repos, which I
> say yes to, it hangs. Switching to tty4 I see that it's decided that the
> upgraded packages it wants to install are untrusted, and is waiting for
> me to type yes or no, which I can't do through the dialog (or whatever
> it is) interface - or the gui install, for that matter.
>
> It seems to me there are two problems here: the mirror appears to have
> unsigned packages, or packages for which I have no certificates, and the
> installer has no way to detect this problem, and either abort or pass
> the question on to the user.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem? I guess I should file a bug
> against the installer?

Yes. My work-around is to never request any packages beyond the bare
miminum while installing with netinstall. Also, I deselect security
and volatile during netinstall. Things that might not be available at
the moment that they are needed during netinstall should not be
requested. If all goes well in the netinstall, you will soon have
your new system up and running. So wait a few minutes to do the
updates.

I wish the installer were more user friendly, but ... I have no
realistic suggestions as to how to make it more user friendly. I
would count this as a wish-list item. Maybe the documentation
should be rewritten to avoid suggesting that one install everything
in one great surge.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 02:06 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100311_210440, Richard Hector wrote:

> > Shortly after it asks me if I want security and volatile repos, which I
> > say yes to, it hangs. Switching to tty4 I see that it's decided that the
> > upgraded packages it wants to install are untrusted, and is waiting for
> > me to type yes or no, which I can't do through the dialog (or whatever
> > it is) interface - or the gui install, for that matter.
>
> Yes. My work-around is to never request any packages beyond the bare
> miminum while installing with netinstall. Also, I deselect security
> and volatile during netinstall. Things that might not be available at
> the moment that they are needed during netinstall should not be
> requested. If all goes well in the netinstall, you will soon have
> your new system up and running. So wait a few minutes to do the
> updates.
>
> I wish the installer were more user friendly, but ... I have no
> realistic suggestions as to how to make it more user friendly. I
> would count this as a wish-list item. Maybe the documentation
> should be rewritten to avoid suggesting that one install everything
> in one great surge.

Right, I redid the installation by deselecting the security and volatile
options, then upgraded afterwards by choosing a different mirror (my
employer maintains an unofficial mirror of those 2 for in-house use)

And I see there's actually already a bug report:

So I guess I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,

Richard

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:04:21 -0500 (EST), Richard Hector wrote:
> And I see there's actually already a bug report:

> So I guess I'll leave it at that.

I looked at the bug report. What a hoot! Did you read the title?

"debian-installer: hungs with unstruted sources"

There are only five words in the title, and two of them are misspelled!

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:04:21 -0500 (EST), Richard Hector wrote:
>> And I see there's actually already a bug report:

>> So I guess I'll leave it at that.
>
> I looked at the bug report. What a hoot! Did you read the title?
>
> "debian-installer: hungs with unstruted sources"
>
> There are only five words in the title, and two of them are misspelled!

Here's the juice on that bug:

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Hello