From: Mark on
Oh, and if I boot to an Ubuntu Live 9.10 CD it connects no problem. What
the what??
From: Arthur Machlas on
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and if I boot to an Ubuntu Live 9.10 CD it connects no problem. What
> the what??

Hi, me again. You know, the guy who said it wasn't worth the trouble. That
it's better to use aptitude after the fact. Yeah... hey.

Good news is I eventually found a simple answer on google. Bad news is it
was some time ago, don't remember how or where I found it. Essentially I had
to clean out some config files that weren't set up properly by installing
firmware during the before any parts of the system were actually installed.

Best,
Arthur
From: Mark on
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and if I boot to an Ubuntu Live 9.10 CD it connects no problem. What
>> the what??
>>

> Hi, me again. You know, the guy who said it wasn't worth the trouble. That
> it's better to use aptitude after the fact. Yeah... hey.
>
> Good news is I eventually found a simple answer on google. Bad news is it
> was some time ago, don't remember how or where I found it. Essentially I had
> to clean out some config files that weren't set up properly by installing
> firmware during the before any parts of the system were actually installed.
>
> Best,
> Arthur

Aptitude it is. I don't mind nuking the hdd and reinstalling Lenny from
scratch (I have the dvd .iso downloaded). Lesson learned! (Assuming
aptitude installation works!)

Mark
From: Mark on
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and if I boot to an Ubuntu Live 9.10 CD it connects no problem. What
>>> the what??
>>>

>> Hi, me again. You know, the guy who said it wasn't worth the trouble. That
>> it's better to use aptitude after the fact. Yeah... hey.
>>
>> Good news is I eventually found a simple answer on google. Bad news is it
>> was some time ago, don't remember how or where I found it. Essentially I had
>> to clean out some config files that weren't set up properly by installing
>> firmware during the before any parts of the system were actually installed.
>>
>> Best,
>> Arthur
>>

> Aptitude it is. I don't mind nuking the hdd and reinstalling Lenny from
> scratch (I have the dvd .iso downloaded). Lesson learned! (Assuming
> aptitude installation works!)
>
> Mark

I did a fresh install of Lenny and still the same problem persists. All
wireless networks are recognized, and after being prompted for my wpa key,
network manager just shows 2 gray dots (neither one turns green) and after
about 30 seconds it times out. Before anyone asks, I'm copying/pasting the
wpa key from a usb drive that I use on the other laptops which connect just
fine, but again they have BCM wifi cards not this ipw2100 type.

Any other ideas?

Mark
From: Mark on
>On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >I did a fresh install of Lenny and still the same problem persists. All
> wireless networks are recognized, and after being prompted for my wpa key,
> network manager just shows 2 gray dots (neither one >turns green) and after
> about 30 seconds it times out. Before anyone asks, I'm copying/pasting the
> wpa key from a usb drive that I use on the other laptops which connect just
> fine, but again they have >BCM wifi cards not this ipw2100 type.
> >
> >Any other ideas?
> >
> >Mark

Per the page here http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/README.ipw2100, it appears
wpa isn't supported yet in the latest stable firmware version. *sad face*
Relevant text is posted below. Since I did "aptitude install
firmware-ipw2x00" per the Debian wiki, I assume it picked the stable
firmware release which is 0.14. Since there are newer versions for package
"firmware-ipw2x00" since the stable release, and Ubuntu uses Unstable from
Debian, which contains one of the newer versions, that must be why it works
when I boot to a live Ubuntu 9.10 CD. Sid uses version 0.22 according to
the Debian page. I'm not advanced enough to know what has been updated from
0.14 to 0.22 that makes it work, but the list here
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-nonfree_0.22/changeloghas
lots of stuff and I assume one or more of them is related to why
Ubuntu
can connect to WPA, and Lenny cannot.

If anything I said is wrong please correct me so I can learn!

2. Release 1.2.0 Current Supported Features
- Managed (BSS) and Ad-Hoc (IBSS)
- WEP (shared key and open)
- Wireless Tools support
- 802.1x