From: Mark on
>On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Rob Owens <rowens(a)ptd.net> wrote:

> >I missed the beginning of this thread, so I'm not sure what the aptitude
> >solution is. I see that there's a firmware-ipw2x00 package in
> >debian-backports. If you haven't already tried that, you might want to
> >give it a shot.

Hi Rob, I was able to get the firmware installed via aptitude only to
discover WPA encryption is not supported in the Lenny package, but is
supported in Sid. That's what my latest email response was regarding.
Looks like I need to use Ubuntu for a while unless there's some magic to
work that I don't know of!

Thank you,
Mark
From: Mark on
>On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Rob Owens <rowens(a)ptd.net> wrote:
>
>I missed the beginning of this thread, so I'm not sure what the aptitude
>solution is. I see that there's a firmware-ipw2x00 package in
>debian-backports. If you haven't already tried that, you might want to
>give it a shot.

Hi all,

My apologies but it seems I had the wrong diagnosis. Listed as 802.11 b
compliant, the Intel 2100 mini PCI wlan card is limited to 11.1 Mbps
transfer rate (specs available here
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2100/sb/cs-008171.htm). My
router at home is set for 54 Mbps, G-only mode. The router I had it
connected to at my office was in Mixed Mode, hence broadcasting at 54 and 11
Mbps, among others, so it connected at 11 Mbps. I believe this accounts for
why the wifi network is detected and listed by Gnome's Network Manager, but
the laptop fails to connect to it at home.

It took a while but I think I've figured it out!

Thanks,
Mark