From: vr on
What is a good utility to block outbound traffic on the home network?
Ideally it will not need to be set in a browsers proxy setting to be
effective.

On 07/26/2010 06:38 PM, vr wrote:
> What is a good utility to block outbound traffic on the home network?
> Ideally it will not need to be set in a browsers proxy setting to be
> effective.

Your firewalling router?

Plz be more specific in your needs.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 26/07/10 07:38 PM, vr wrote:
> What is a good utility to block outbound traffic on the home network?
> Ideally it will not need to be set in a browsers proxy setting to be
> effective.

You need to describe your network and the desired control to get some
relevant answers. Without knowing these details, the generic answer is
to use a firewall on your internet gateway.

ever having been read.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:26:29 -0400, "H.S." wrote:
> On 26/07/10 07:38 PM, vr wrote:
>> What is a good utility to block outbound traffic on the home network?
>> Ideally it will not need to be set in a browsers proxy setting to be
>> effective.
>>

> You need to describe your network and the desired control to get some
> relevant answers. Without knowing these details, the generic answer is
> to use a firewall on your internet gateway.

The service provider (ATT) provided a four port 2-Wire router that is both
wireless and wired.
It has very few options for firewalling and is required to connect to
their service.

I have uplinked an two HP 1800-8G switches to the ISP's device and plugged
in my devices there. The LAN has a macintosh client, a couple Windows 7
clients and a few Debian clients and a network printer.

I'd like the flexibility to selectively stop outbound protocols up to and
including Instant Messenger file transfers but do so without having to
configure something specific on the client devices. Other than a new router
IP perhaps?

On 26/07/10 08:46 PM, vr wrote:

> The service provider (ATT) provided a four port 2-Wire router that is both
> wireless and wired.

I am not familiar with ATT. Is your service ADSL or cable?

> It has very few options for firewalling and is required to connect to
> their service.

I think I have used a 2-wire router in the past (it broke down and had
to replace it, don't have it anymore) and IIRC it had a sufficient
firewall control. Yours may be different of course.

> I have uplinked an two HP 1800-8G switches to the ISP's device and plugged
> in my devices there. The LAN has a macintosh client, a couple Windows 7
> clients and a few Debian clients and a network printer.
>
> I'd like the flexibility to selectively stop outbound protocols up to and
> including Instant Messenger file transfers but do so without having to
> configure something specific on the client devices. Other than a new router
> IP perhaps?

If your router does not have the features you desire, than you probably
need to replace it. It may be replaced with a Debian machine working as
a router. This will probably give you the maximum flexibility. I use
this method and am quite satisfied with it. The machine needs to have
two LAN interface to work as a router, one for WAN (internet) and the
other for LAN. The other option is to buy a new router that has the
desired features. I would recommend a Linksys or another router that is
supported by DDWRT, OpenWRT or Tomato open source firmwares. Eventually
it all depends on how much you make your current router do this for you.

Thanks for your LAN details.

Others more experienced can surely give you better advice than I.

Regards.

ever having been read.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3