From: lrhorer on
> I have replaced kpackage with "gdebi-kde", gdebi lets you install
> local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does
> the same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages.
>
> I also use synaptic.

I've used both somewhat extensively. I dislike synaptic. Kpackage is
much easier to use. Indeed, it's probably my main reason for wanting
to use KDE versus Gnome, along with KDE's integration with KDM. This
integration is also goofy under KDE4.

>> ...is there a way to
>> get KDE4 to look and behave like KDE3?
>

> I think the big difference is that kde4 is using dolphin for file
> management and not konqueror, but you can setup konqueror to be used
> as the filemanager just like it was in kde3, here's a little recipe I
> made to give me both a "User Filemanager" and a "SuperUser
> Filemanager":

I rarely use a file manager.

> OK, you can get red and blue icons for the kde4 menu from here:
> www.flickr.com/photos/23959276(a)N07/sets/72157622753407463/ I use the
> classic menu, if you don't know you can right click on the start
> button and change to the classic menu.

I may have missed that. I know it is in KDE3, but I don't seem to
recall it being in KDE4, that I saw. I probably need to load another
(non-production) system with Squeeze and play around with it more. I
could not afford the nearly continuous lock-ups on the Linux router I
was building, so I got rid of the GUIs entirely.

> Right click on the menu start button and choose edit menu and click on
> the System Folder, that's where we are going to add the new file
> managers,

I'm not really concerned about the file manager.

Cassiano Leal wrote:

> On 9 March 2010 00:22, Sam Leon <debian(a)net153.net> wrote:
>> lrhorer wrote:
>>>
>>> I loaded up an embedded system with Debian recently.  I was having
>>> problems relating to the older kernel in Lenny, so I want ahead and
>>> installed Squeeze.  I got things working, but I was mortified with
>>> KDE4, which installed with Squeeze.  It's horrible.  I mean really,
>>> really bad.  KDE3 wasn't exactly spectacular, but it was good
>>> enough. This hunk of junk, though, is really quite unacceptable.
>>> Ignoring the fact that Kpackage was just plain broken - which I
>>> assume will be fixed before Squeeze goes gold - the UI for KDE4 is
>>> brain dead.  I have several servers and a couple of workstations
>>> which will sooner or later need to be upgraded to Squeeze, but I do
>>> not want KDE4 on them in the shape it is now.  Is there a way to
>>> allow everything else to upgrade, but hold back KDE and its
>>> dependants?  Barring that, is there a way to get KDE4 to look and
>>> behave like KDE3?
>
> I have been using KDE4 since 4.0 came out. Never really been a big fan
> of either KDE or GNOME in the past, but the KDE4 series, the ideas and
> the technology behind it, and especially the VERY RAPID evolution have
> caught me -- have a peek at KDE 4.4, I reckon you'll have a nice
> surprise: it's beautiful (IMO, of course), VERY customizable, snappy,

What sub-version of KDE4 is being distributed with Squeeze? Whatever
it is, I hated it.

> has plenty of desktop paradigms to choose from and I'm sure you can
> get it to behave more or less like KDE3 with a bit of customization,
> even though I totally miss the point there -- apart from the rant.

See my comments in the response above. KDE2 was OK. 'Not great, but
OK. KDE3 was not as good. KDE4 seems like it is terrible. How much
longer is this trend going to continue?

On 2010-03-12 19:52, lrhorer wrote:
[snip]

> My servers are on a secure network, unaccessible from outside the
> network, and I almost never do anything that doesn't require root
> access on them, so I set them up with a chooser that has root as one of
> its selections defaulted in the KDM chooser. I didn't see how to do

Servers with a GUI installed? That's not considered Best Practices.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-03-12 19:52, lrhorer wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> My servers are on a secure network, unaccessible from outside
>> the
>> network, and I almost never do anything that doesn't require root
>> access on them, so I set them up with a chooser that has root as one
>> of
>> its selections defaulted in the KDM chooser. I didn't see how to do
>
> Servers with a GUI installed? That's not considered Best Practices.

It is for my purposes. Indeed, one of the server applications
(Galleon) on the main server is GUI based and one of the client
applications (TyTool) running on the main server is a Windows app
running under Wine. The backup server could run without the GUI, but
it's easier to administer using Kpackage than anything else.

lrhorer wrote:
>> I have been using kde4 for over a year. The only issues that I have
>> had are the lack of a couple of programs that haven't been ported from
>> kde3 to kde4 yet but I have managed with out them. You didn't explain
>> what your problems are with kde4 so I am going to have to guess here.
>> Yes the UI and desktop are alittle bit different. But after poking
>> around in the
>> options for about 2 hours I managed to get kde4 working just about
>> the
>> same as kde3.
>
> Not that I could tell. OTOH, I didn't have a lot of time on my hands
> for playing with the UI. I had to get the router working, and since
> the router is headless and almost all access to the router is via ssh
> over a very slow broadband link, the GUI just wasn't a big deal. The
> lock-ups it was causing were far more trouble than it was even remotely
> worth, so I trashed it completely. It would have been somewhat nioce
> to have it available (especially Kpackage) while I was setting it up,
> but now that it is in production, it's not an issue at all.
>
> My servers are on a secure network, unaccessible from outside the
> network, and I almost never do anything that doesn't require root
> access on them, so I set them up with a chooser that has root as one of
> its selections defaulted in the KDM chooser. I didn't see how to do
> that in KDE4.
>
> In KDE, the superfolder list (Lost & Found, Utilities, System,
> Multimedia, etc.) are all displayed on the left side of the screen
> whenever one clicks on the Kstart Icon. This is true in both KDE3 and
> KDE4. In KDE3, however, hovering the mouse cursor over any given
> superfolder brings up the list of contents inside the superfolder. To
> see the contents of the next superfolder up or down, one merely slides
> the mouse cursor up or down, respectively, to see the contents of that
> superfolder. In KDE4, one must actually drill into the folder to see
> its contents. To browse the contents of the next superfolder down, one
> must exit the current superfolder, figure out where one was previously,
> move to the next superfolder up or down in the list, and drill into
> it. It's tedious, annoying, and time consuming.
>
> The fact it locked up the system tight as a drum every third or fourth
> time I switched windows hardly endeared it to me, either. The only
> recourse was to hit the big, red switch. Not good.

I have never had kde4 lock up on me. Perhaps because kde4 uses the
graphics card more, you need to make sure your video card is set up
right and using the right drivers in xorg? Perhaps try disabling all UI
effects: Systemsettings -> Desktop ->uncheck enable all effects

Sam