From: Frank Bonnet on
Hello

I have a Lenny server with two ethernet interfaces which is NFS CLIENT
to a NETAPP filer

I wonder if it would be possible to force NFS traffic to/from the filer
on one ethernet interface and use the other interface for all other
traffics ?

like the following

eth0 <------OTHER TRAFFIC----> LAN
eth1 <------NFS ONLY --------> FILER NFS server

Thanks for any info

..

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet(a)esiee.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Lenny server with two ethernet interfaces which is NFS CLIENT to a
> NETAPP filer
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to force NFS traffic to/from the filer on
> one ethernet interface and use the other interface for all other traffics ?
>
> like the following
>
> eth0 <------OTHER TRAFFIC----> LAN
> eth1 <------NFS ONLY --------> FILER NFS server

use

ip route

so presume

server A
eth0 192.168.11.10/24 normal traffic
eth1 192.168.11.11/24 nfs traffic

nfs

eth0 192.168.11.14/24

so on server a

you could have something like

192.168.11.0 dev eth0 src 192.168.11.10
192.168.11.0 dev eth1 src 192.168.11.11
default via eth0 src 192.168.11.10

you could add

ip route add 192.168.11.14/32 dev eth1 src 192.168.11.11

which says for all access to 192.168.11.14 use dev eth1 with src 192.168.11.11

so that will help with outbound traffic - inbound (from nfs to server
a) is a different matter. You will find eth0 will arp reply for
192.168.11.11 which means nfs replies will go to eth0 as well as maybe
eth1.

you could setup a permenant arp entry for 192.168.11.11 on
192.168.11.14 but .....

The other option is put the nfs server in a different subnet (not a
different ethernet broadcast segment) - so same switch different ip
network, this would stop eth0 being used over eth1

Alex

On 2010-03-08 08:40, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Lenny server with two ethernet interfaces which is NFS CLIENT
> to a NETAPP filer
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to force NFS traffic to/from the filer
> on one ethernet interface and use the other interface for all other
> traffics ?
>
> like the following
>
> eth0 <------OTHER TRAFFIC----> LAN
> eth1 <------NFS ONLY --------> FILER NFS server

Since each interface has it's own IP address, the clientaddr mount
option might be what you want.

$ man 5 nfs

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-03-08 08:40, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a Lenny server with two ethernet interfaces which is NFS CLIENT to
>> a NETAPP filer
>>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to force NFS traffic to/from the filer on
>> one ethernet interface and use the other interface for all other traffics ?
>>
>> like the following
>>
>> eth0 <------OTHER TRAFFIC----> LAN
>> eth1 <------NFS ONLY --------> FILER NFS server
>>

> Since each interface has it's own IP address, the clientaddr mount option
> might be what you want.
>
> $ man 5 nfs

no that takes out all the fun :) completely forgot about that i was
thinking purely network, still doesn't solve the re packets coming
back on the other interface potentially

On 2010-03-09 16:16, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> On 2010-03-08 08:40, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have a Lenny server with two ethernet interfaces which is NFS CLIENT to
>>> a NETAPP filer
>>>
>>> I wonder if it would be possible to force NFS traffic to/from the filer on
>>> one ethernet interface and use the other interface for all other traffics ?
>>>
>>> like the following
>>>
>>> eth0 <------OTHER TRAFFIC----> LAN
>>> eth1 <------NFS ONLY --------> FILER NFS server
>>>
>> Since each interface has it's own IP address, the clientaddr mount option
>> might be what you want.
>>
>> $ man 5 nfs
>
> no that takes out all the fun :) completely forgot about that i was
> thinking purely network, still doesn't solve the re packets coming
> back on the other interface potentially

Both interfaces are on the same switch?