From: Avinash H.M. on
Hi All,

I am using DSL [ damn small linux ] which is branched from debain.
I am trying to use GCC, GDB. Able to install both of them.

I am doing following
- run a helloworld.c program whic has a while loop. So while
running, its stuck in while.
- another shell, "kill -11 PID" [ PID of the ./a.out ]
After kill, i get Segmentation fault. But Core is not dumped. [ I
expect a print ( Core dumped ) ]

Anyone faced this ??? Please help.

Thanks
- Avinash

On 05/22/2010 08:10 PM, Avinash H.M. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using DSL [ damn small linux ] which is branched from debain.
> I am trying to use GCC, GDB. Able to install both of them.
>
> I am doing following
> - run a helloworld.c program whic has a while loop. So while
> running, its stuck in while.
> - another shell, "kill -11 PID" [ PID of the ./a.out ]
> After kill, i get Segmentation fault. But Core is not dumped. [ I
> expect a print ( Core dumped ) ]
>
> Anyone faced this ??? Please help.
>
> Thanks
> - Avinash

First, compile your program with -g, then take a look at man core. Not
every program that has received
a segfault signal dumps core. Look at gcore to see how to generate it.

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 23:07, Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> On 05/22/2010 08:10 PM, Avinash H.M. wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using DSL [ damn small linux ] which is branched from debain.
>> I am trying to use GCC, GDB. Able to install both of them.
>>
>> I am doing following
>> - run a helloworld.c program whic has a while loop. So while
>> running, its stuck in while.
>> - another shell, "kill -11 PID" [ PID of the ./a.out ]
>> After kill, i get Segmentation fault. But Core is not dumped. [ I
>> expect a print ( Core dumped ) ]
>>
>> Anyone faced this ??? Please help.
>>
>> Thanks
>> - Avinash
>>

> First, compile your program with -g, then take a look at man core. Not
> every program that has received
> a segfault signal dumps core. Look at gcore to see how to generate it.

Normally core dump is disabled. You could find the maximum size of core
file created using "ulimit -a", normally that is 0.
Increase it using
ulimit -c <maximum size>
From: Chris Bannister on
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:40:53PM +0530, Avinash H.M. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using DSL [ damn small linux ] which is branched from debain.
> I am trying to use GCC, GDB. Able to install both of them.

Although DSL is based on Debian, it is not Debian. There are numerous
differences between them. Enough, in fact, as to make them quite
different beasts and you would be better off asking on a DSL mailing
list.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Thanks !!! this worked.
I did
ulimit -c unlimited.

I tried tracking ulimit. If i do
which ulimit, i am not getting anything. [ I expect the path of this binary ]

Is it a built in bash command or something like that ????

--
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, SHARE IT.

BIRTH IS JOYFUL, DEATH IS PLEASANT, BUT ITS THE TRANSITION WHICH IS TROUBLESOME.

WITH WARM REGARDS, AVINASH