From: Bob McGowan on
Mark wrote:
>>On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Aioanei Rares
> <debian.dev.list(a)gmail.com <mailto:debian.dev.list(a)gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> >Something like dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda2 bs=4096

Yes, with emphasis on "something like" ;) /dev/null would return an
immediate EOF:

0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 1.1466e-05 seconds, 0.0 kB/s

If you really must do this, use 'if=/dev/zero' instead.

> Thanks Aioanei, I'll give that a try. I know it's a dumb question I
> just don't want to get it wrong!

But, as others have implied, you don't need to zero out the disk, you
just need to either change the partition boundaries or just reformat.

Using the partitioner's "expert" mode, you would select the partition
you want to overwrite and tell the installer to reformat it.

Cheers,

--
Bob McGowan

>On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml(a)well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> >Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
> >lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
> >the installation of a new OS.

Just a habit I've acquired over the years - I like to have the hdd blanked
with zeros to ensure there are no ghost/residual files left on any of the
sectors before installing anything.

Mark
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-05 22:14, Mark wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml(a)well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>
>>> Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
>>> lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
>>> the installation of a new OS.
>
> Just a habit I've acquired over the years - I like to have the hdd blanked
> with zeros to ensure there are no ghost/residual files left on any of the
> sectors before installing anything.

That's *completely* and *utterly* nonsensical. mkfs wipes over the
existing file structures.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

I was just looking at the stats for this thread: 38 total replies (not
counting the spinoff/individual replies), of which three were directly
helpful responses (thank you Aioanei, Theirry and Bob) which led me to more
specific Googling, which led to my ultimate solution.

Have we lost our way a bit on this list?
From: Mark Allums on
On 3/7/2010 10:10 PM, Mark wrote:
> I was just looking at the stats for this thread: 38 total replies (not
> counting the spinoff/individual replies), of which three were directly
> helpful responses (thank you Aioanei, Theirry and Bob) which led me to
> more specific Googling, which led to my ultimate solution.
>
> Have we lost our way a bit on this list?

There *is* an OT list, now.