From: Mark on
I hope there is a simple answer to this question (fingers crossed): how do I
overwrite an existing partition (hda2 for example) with all zeros
(essentially blanking the partition clean in preparation for installing
Lenny), without destroying the partition table? I've used the shred command
to wipe partitions before, but it messes up the partition table along with
it. The purpose is that I have a 200gb hard drive with music/pics/etc. on a
separate partition from the OS that I will mount via fstab upon boot. I've
searched around and the dd command can probably do it but haven't gotten the
command line to do it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
From: Aioanei Rares on
On 03/06/2010 01:09 AM, Mark wrote:
> I hope there is a simple answer to this question (fingers crossed):
> how do I overwrite an existing partition (hda2 for example) with all
> zeros (essentially blanking the partition clean in preparation for
> installing Lenny), without destroying the partition table? I've used
> the shred command to wipe partitions before, but it messes up the
> partition table along with it. The purpose is that I have a 200gb
> hard drive with music/pics/etc. on a separate partition from the OS
> that I will mount via fstab upon boot. I've searched around and the
> dd command can probably do it but haven't gotten the command line to
> do it. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark
Something like dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda2 bs=4096

>On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> >Something like dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda2 bs=4096

Thanks Aioanei, I'll give that a try. I know it's a dumb question I just
don't want to get it wrong!
From: Mark on
>On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet(a)free.fr> wrote:

> >"If" I understand your question correctly; you want to keep your 200 Gb
> and
> >do a new install.First question: are those 200 gb on a separated
> partition? If
> >no, then you should save the music on a external drive, or create a
> partition
> >to put it on. Then during the new install choose manual partitioning and
> go
> >on.

Currently I have 180 of the 200 GB partitioned containing music, pictures,
etc. and an old OS installation on the hda2 partition. I'd like to keep the
180 gb partition in-tact, not damage the partition table, and fill the 20 gb
hda2 partition with zeros so I can install Lenny.

Thanks,
Mark
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-05 17:36, Mark wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet(a)free.fr> wrote:
>
>>> "If" I understand your question correctly; you want to keep your 200 Gb
>> and
>>> do a new install.First question: are those 200 gb on a separated
>> partition? If
>>> no, then you should save the music on a external drive, or create a
>> partition
>>> to put it on. Then during the new install choose manual partitioning and
>> go
>>> on.
>
> Currently I have 180 of the 200 GB partitioned containing music, pictures,
> etc. and an old OS installation on the hda2 partition. I'd like to keep the
> 180 gb partition in-tact, not damage the partition table, and fill the 20 gb
> hda2 partition with zeros so I can install Lenny.

"Simply" install (using expert mode) onto the relevant partition.
During installation, you'll have an opportunity to mkfs each of the
partitions. Skip the "data" partition, but then tell the installer
to mount that partition as "/data" (or whatever).

Just make sure you first have a backup copy!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka