From: John Salmon on
I'm running Lenny on a PC. When I try to use totem to display a .mpg
file I get the fpllowing;

epc_publisher_create_server: listening on http://peace:58293/
** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Init of Python module
** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Registering Python plugin instance: YouTube
+TotemPythonPlugin
** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating object of type YouTube
+TotemPythonPlugin
** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating Python plugin instance
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
(Details: serial 60 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

My system memory is maxed out (indicated as 377.3 mb). Could this be the
problem?

John Salmon
salmonjj(a)comcast.net

On 03/08/2010 10:05 PM, John Salmon wrote:
> I'm running Lenny on a PC. When I try to use totem to display a .mpg
> file I get the fpllowing;
>
> epc_publisher_create_server: listening on http://peace:58293/
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Init of Python module
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Registering Python plugin instance: YouTube
> +TotemPythonPlugin
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating object of type YouTube
> +TotemPythonPlugin
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating Python plugin instance
> The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
> (Details: serial 60 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
> (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>
> My system memory is maxed out (indicated as 377.3 mb). Could this be the
> problem?
>
> John Salmon
> salmonjj(a)comcast.net

So, to be sure : how much RAM do you have ?

On 2010-03-08, John Salmon <salmonjj(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm running Lenny on a PC. When I try to use totem to display a .mpg
> file I get the fpllowing;
>
> epc_publisher_create_server: listening on http://peace:58293/
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Init of Python module
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Registering Python plugin instance: YouTube
> +TotemPythonPlugin
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating object of type YouTube
> +TotemPythonPlugin
> ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating Python plugin instance
> The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
> (Details: serial 60 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
> (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>
> My system memory is maxed out (indicated as 377.3 mb). Could this be the
> problem?
>
> John Salmon
> salmonjj(a)comcast.net

Are you using totem-xine or totem-gstreamer? With or without compiz? I
ask because I had to take special measures to get both of them working
with compiz.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 22:26 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-03-08, John Salmon <salmonjj(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> > I'm running Lenny on a PC. When I try to use totem to display a .mpg
> > file I get the fpllowing;
> >
> > epc_publisher_create_server: listening on http://peace:58293/
> > ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Init of Python module
> > ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Registering Python plugin instance: YouTube
> > +TotemPythonPlugin
> > ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating object of type YouTube
> > +TotemPythonPlugin
> > ** (totem:12145): DEBUG: Creating Python plugin instance
> > The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
> > (Details: serial 60 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
> > (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> > that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> > To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> > option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> > backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> > function.)
> >
> > My system memory is maxed out (indicated as 377.3 mb). Could this be the
> > problem?
> >
> > John Salmon
> > salmonjj(a)comcast.net
> >

> Are you using totem-xine or totem-gstreamer? With or without compiz? I
> ask because I had to take special measures to get both of them working
> with compiz.
>
> --
> Liam O'Toole
> Birmingham, United Kingdom

I;m running totem-gstreamer but not compiz. My old Dell OptiPlex
wouldn't handle anything that nice.

John Salmon
salmonjj(a)comcast.net

Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-03-09, John Salmon <salmonjj(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> --- SNIP ---

>>> Are you using totem-xine or totem-gstreamer? With or without compiz? I
>>> ask because I had to take special measures to get both of them working
>>> with compiz.
>>>

>> I;m running totem-gstreamer but not compiz. My old Dell OptiPlex
>> wouldn't handle anything that nice.
>>

> Try running gstreamer-properties, click on the 'Video' tab, and
> experiment with the output settings. Hopefully you will find one which
> tests succesfully.

It's either a defective allocation of memory or really insufficient RAM.
I quote :

The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.

To the OP : how much swap do you have?