From: Patrick Schönbach on
Hello,

I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64. Since recently, I am having a problem
with some installers (not all). It seems that all installers that cause
problems are

a) UPX packed
b) based on InstallShield

When starting the installer, I first get:

"Insufficient free disk space" (I have over 3TB free though!)

and then:

"Cannot prepare main package.
Probably incorrect TMP/TEMP variables or there is no execute
permission for temporary folder."

The variables TMP and TEMP are set correctly and execute permissions are
set for the temporary folder. So, the error message seems to be
misleading.

But, what else could be the problem? How to narrow the problem down?

--
Regards,
Patrick

--
email: pschoenb(a)gmx.de
PGP public key available. Key ID: 0B7DDE39
From: Carlos on
Patrick,
Try running the installer as administrator.
Moreover, 16-bit based installers will not install on x64.
Carlos

From: James Kosin on
On 1/18/2010 6:46 AM, Patrick Sch�nbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Win 7 Ultimate x64. Since recently, I am having a problem
> with some installers (not all). It seems that all installers that cause
> problems are
>
> a) UPX packed
> b) based on InstallShield
>
> When starting the installer, I first get:
>
> "Insufficient free disk space" (I have over 3TB free though!)

What Carlos said... and some installers don't like that much free space.
I don't remember when but, even with 300GB to 500GB free you could end
up with problems.

Have you tried creating a smaller separate partition to install the
software to?

It could be that it is a 16-bit installer....

James
From: Donahoo on
Just curious, how do you know if you have a 16-bit installer or a 32-bit
isntaller? For that matter, how do you tell 32-bit software from 16-bit
software?

From: Carlos on
Donahoo,
Can't help you here.
Usually 16-bit installers yield this error
"the image file ... is valid, but is for a machine type other than the
current machine"
when running it on a 64-bit OS.
Carlos