From: Bob Costello on
Upgraded to Windows7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Added RAM to 5GB (reason
I upgraded to 64 bit was to get around the 3GB 32 bit limitation.) Now
system shows 5GB but only 3.3GB available for use. Task manager shows
5.12GB installed, 3.326GB available or cached and 1.794GB "hardware
reserved"(?). Is this 1.794 not available for software? If not, how to
make it available for software?

I really wanted the performance improvement of 64 bit and increased RAM.
How do I get Windows7 64 bit to utilize the full 5 GB?

System is HP running 64 capable 2.13 hz dual core Intel.
From: Bobby Johnson on
Whatever it is it's something you would be better off asking HP, or
reading up on the specs of your computer. It could be a BIOS setting,
reserved memory for a plug-in card (especially video RAM), etc.

Did you do a clean install of Win 7 x64?

It's not a clear cut answer not knowing exactly what your hardware is.
Some systems have limited memory capability by design. I have a Dell
1501 laptop with 4GB DDR2 installed. Win 7 tells me only 2.25GB of the
4GB is available for the system. That's something Dell designed into
the system. The 2.25GB limitation doesn't cause me any problem though
since I have a SSD and installed a RAMDisk and now have a virtual drive.

From: Bob Costello on
Bob Costello wrote:
> Upgraded to Windows7 64 bit from Vista 32 bit. Added RAM to 5GB (reason
> I upgraded to 64 bit was to get around the 3GB 32 bit limitation.) Now
> system shows 5GB but only 3.3GB available for use. Task manager shows
> 5.12GB installed, 3.326GB available or cached and 1.794GB "hardware
> reserved"(?). Is this 1.794 not available for software? If not, how to
> make it available for software?
>
> I really wanted the performance improvement of 64 bit and increased RAM.
> How do I get Windows7 64 bit to utilize the full 5 GB?
>
> System is HP running 64 capable 2.13 hz dual core Intel.

I am definitely running 64 bits. Did a clean install and it shows it is
running 64 bits. Board is ASUS Tek Leonite 5.00 and the bios is Phoenix
Tech LTD 5.09. The computer is an HP Media Center with 2.13 GHz Intel
Core 2 HP-Pavilion RT680AA-ABA m7747c.

Sounds like it is a BIOS limitation. I see no option in Bios to change
anything related to this.
From: Franz Leu on
R. C. White schrieb:
> Hi, Bob.
>
> In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another
> user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which
> reports 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is
> running 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no
> such limit in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
>
> So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM
> limitation. As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the
> mobo or somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
>
> RC

Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
results in exact that difference for the RAM.
This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too
much does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB
should be a minimum.

HTH
Franz
From: freddie b. on
Excuse me good people. The writer states that he upgraded from a 32 bit
operating system to 64 bit system on the same machine. In this operation,
one must fully understand the design concept of the manufacturer. The 32 bit
operating system was supported by a 32 bit bios. That being said, you can't
get 64 bit performance from a 32 bit tree. All configurations will remain in
the 32 bit realm. That being said, change the bios from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Contact the manufacturer and ask for a 64 bit image of the bios. Understand
that the hardware installed in the machine may have driver issues when going
from 32 bit to 64 bit. The operating system should fix this if drivers are
available. This should fix your problem forever. Your only limitation in ram
upgrade will be bios and physical machine profiles.
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

"Franz Leu" <franz.spamremove.leu(a)norfolk.spamremove.ch> wrote in message
> R. C. White schrieb:
>> Hi, Bob.
>>
>> In our similar thread about this issue in alt.windows7.general, another
>> user is reporting a similar problem with his Sony computer, which reports
>> 4.0 GB RAM, 3.84 Usable. His screenshot shows that, yes, he is running
>> 64-bit Win7. I posted a similar screenshot there showing no such limit
>> in my Win7 x64 with 4 GB on board.
>>
>> So far as I have ever read or heard, Win7 imposes no such RAM limitation.
>> As you said, the limitation must be in the BIOS - or the mobo or
>> somewhere other than in Win7 itself.
>>
>> RC
>
> Some boards with integrated graphic adapters do share the memory, which
> results in exact that difference for the RAM.
> This usually can be adjusted in the BIOS. However, lowering this too much
> does not leave enough memory for the graphic chip. For W7 128MB should be
> a minimum.
>
> HTH
> Franz

 |  Next  |  Last