From: briand on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:10:32 -0500
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> On 2010-04-14 22:35, briand(a)aracnet.com wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > r8169 requesting rtl8169-1.fw
> >

> What package is that in?

I don't know. Did I mention that it fails to load, i.e. probably isn't
there ?

I do have non-free in sources.list, but I'm pretty sure the firmware
blob is not in my installation.

And .32-trunk is the running kernel, has been for some time, and I've
rebooted several times.

Brian

On 2010-04-14 23:29, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
[snip]

> You mentioned you had problems building 2.6.32 and .33 kernel source. Do
> you use the Debian kernel source or kernel.org source? I've been using the
> kernel.org source for quite some time and have never had any real problems
> with it (knocks on wood). I had a build problem with .33 a while back but
> that turned out to be due to a slight bit too much overclock on my machine
> in this warmer weather. ;)

Debian source. It's the first kernel build problem I'm had since
the 2.4 days, and I've been using 2.6 since .0.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson put forth on 4/14/2010 11:10 PM:
> On 2010-04-14 22:35, briand(a)aracnet.com wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> r8169 requesting rtl8169-1.fw
>>

> What package is that in?

At this point in time it supposedly should be found in
firmware-linux-nonfree. However, I can't find it there. In fact, I can't
find any sign of Realtek firmware anywhere in firmware-linux-* or in a
standalone firmware package with anything resembling "Realtek" in the
package name or contents.

Very strange. Anyone else able to find any Realtek firmware in any Debian
packages? At this point it would seem the Realtek firmware(s) have vanished.

I wonder if none of the Realtek chips actually need soft firmware blobs. I
guess not since Debian has removed all traces of them from the packages.

--
Stan

briand(a)aracnet.com put forth on 4/15/2010 12:08 AM:

> And .32-trunk is the running kernel, has been for some time, and I've
> rebooted several times.

Did up aptitude upgrade to the .32-trunk kernel or is your .32-trunk kernel
what resulted from a fresh install? Also, what architecture is your kernel?
Most, if not all, of the commenters in the bug were using amd64 kernels.

--
Stan

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-14 21:58, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Ron Johnson put forth on 4/14/2010 8:28 AM:
>>> [snip]

<-- SNIP -->

>> AFAIK, for those who roll their own kernels from kernel.org source,
>> there's
>> no problem with RTL chips if you compile all blobs into the kernel. For
>> those using stock Debian kernels, RTL chips have been a problem, and
>> may yet
>> be again.
>>

> Maybe if I ever get .32 or .33 I'll squeal in anger. Until then...

~$ lspci |grep Real
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
[1]+ Done play
/usr/local/sounds/identification.wav > /dev/null 2>&1

Running fine here since 2.6.26 and currently on 2.6.32-4-amd64. Stock
kernel images on testing.

Wayne