From: thecat131 on

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> Have you cataloged the bkf file in XP Backup to see what is present in it?

Hey Dominic
Not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me step by step instructions
or let me know where I can find more infoplease?

Cheers
Cathy
From: Dominic Payer on
Switch XP Backup to Advanced Mode.

Then select the Restore and Manage Media tab and in Tools select Catalog
a backup file and Catalog your bkf.

From: thecat131 on
Hey Dominic
Thanks for the info.

I did this and when I expaned each item, it tells me 'no items found'.

I have a feeling 'Pegasus' (another forum member) may be right - the back up
never actually took place. What I don't understand is why the backup.bkf
file is so large (119,910kb).

Guess the learning from this experience is to test your Emergency Procedures
regularly and before you actually need the!

Cheers

From: Dominic Payer on
It looks as if the backup reserved the space needed but was unable to
write the backup details. Many years ago I had a similar experience.

Always check that your backups are backing up and that you can restore
at least a test file.

Microsoft backups are not readable natively on Windows version upgrades
and they promise, but fail to deliver promptly or at all, appropriate
utilities. I use Acronis True Image Home, as do many others, and the
backups are readable and recoverable from any Windows version.

From: ebloch on
I would find another backup program which is reliable.

Replicator (free) at http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
has worked reliably for me on Win XP and Vista.

Eric