From: Klistvud on
Dne, 03. 06. 2010 00:13:06 je Carl Johnson napisal(a):
> My old Athlon 64 was similar to that, so I had a script setup to
> quickly switch to high speed, and a timout option. I would use that
> at times when I wanted to run several small programs so they would
> avoid the delay, but then if I forgot it would drop the speed back.

Until I find some time to tackle the problem properly, I'm setting a
cron job to enable the powersave governor overnight and the performance
governor during the daily hours. That's just a temporary workaround
though.

--
Cheers, and thanx for the suggestions,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:42:54AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> I've bee all over uncle G to crack this one, but to no avail. In short:
> how would you go about launching a program when the computer is idle,
> and launching another program when the computer stops being idle?

I wanted to do this too, but wanted to dim my screen on idle, and have
it come back on input under X11. I don't run gnome or kde, so didn't
want to use one of their power managers for this. I couldn't find
anything, so I wrote my own.

I don't know if I have done it in the most efficient way, but you're
welcome to hack the code to do what you want - it is not complex code.

http://marshwiggle.net/xbacklightd/

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton(a)marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
2 Chronicles 16:9a
From: Andrei Popescu on
On Jo, 03 iun 10, 11:33:38, David Purton wrote:

> I wanted to do this too, but wanted to dim my screen on idle, and have
> it come back on input under X11. I don't run gnome or kde, so didn't
> want to use one of their power managers for this. I couldn't find
> anything, so I wrote my own.

Under LXDE I'm using xfce-power-manager. It does that and a lot more.

Unfortunately it's not suitable for Klistvud's needs unless someone
hacks the sources, because in the current form it will use 'ondemand'
for normal operation.

Regards,
Andrei
On Mi, 02 iun 10, 11:42:54, Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> I've bee all over uncle G to crack this one, but to no avail. In
> short: how would you go about launching a program when the computer
> is idle, and launching another program when the computer stops being
> idle? Specifically, I'd like my computer to switch CPU governors
> from powersave to performance and vice versa, with "cpufreq-set

According to the description 'sentinella' seems to be exactly what you
need. It just showed up in unstable though and is a KDE program...

Regards,
Andrei
Dne, 03. 06. 2010 03:33:38 je David Purton napisal(a):

> I don't know if I have done it in the most efficient way, but you're
> welcome to hack the code to do what you want - it is not complex code.

Hey, thanx, David. Although I'm in no way capable of hacking the code
-- or even understanding it -- I really appreciate the gesture. This
list simply *rules*.
My "skills", if they may be called that at all, hardly reach simple
bash scripting. Therefore, for the time being, I'm looking at
xscreensaver-command, specifically at
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xscreensaver-command . There's a snippet of
perl there that, with any luck, could be hacked into a coarse bash
script (since I don't talk pearl either).

--
All the best,