From: Klistvud on
Dne, 03. 06. 2010 08:52:43 je Andrei Popescu napisal(a):

> According to the description 'sentinella' seems to be exactly what you
> need. It just showed up in unstable though and is a KDE program...

Well, I was looking for something DE-agnostic, preferably a
command-line tool, but thanx for the info anyway.

--
Have a nice day,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Klistvud <quotations(a)aliceadsl.fr> writes:

> Dne, 02. 06. 2010 18:56:48 je Carl Johnson napisal(a):
>
>> used. You also might want to look at the 'conservative' governor. It
>> will decrease speed slower, but it also increases speed slower.
>
> I tried it out and on my system it actually performs even worse than
> the ondemand governor: the CPU virtually never leaves its lowest clock
> ... Thanx for the suggestion, though. I'll keep trying.

I just thought of another way to improve the ondemand driver
slightly. There is a file called up_threshold in the
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ directory. This file
defaults to 80 meaning that the cpu use was 80% over the last time
period. This is high enough that it will usually require more than
one time period to reach this. If you set it to something like 40%
then it will often reach it in less than one time period. I am
assuming that you have already set the sampling_rate to
sampling_rate_min. You should only need to set these at boot, so they
could go in /etc/rc.local or /etc/sysfs.conf (sysfsutils package).
--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org

Dne, 04. 06. 2010 00:07:27 je Carl Johnson napisal(a):

> I just thought of another way to improve the ondemand driver
> slightly. There is a file called up_threshold in the
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ directory. This file
> defaults to 80 meaning that the cpu use was 80% over the last time
> period. This is high enough that it will usually require more than
> one time period to reach this. If you set it to something like 40%
> then it will often reach it in less than one time period.

Thanx. Will try that out.

> I am assuming that you have already set the sampling_rate to
> sampling_rate_min.

You're assuming right.

> You should only need to set these at boot, so they
> could go in /etc/rc.local or /etc/sysfs.conf (sysfsutils package).

Will have to see into that. On my machine, the entire .../ondemand
directory with all of its contents vanishes as soon as the governor
gets changed from "ondemand" to anything else.

--
Have a nice day, and thanx for your continuing interest