From: Kousik Maiti on
You need cross connected cable to connect 2 pc via lan card .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

After connecting 2 pc via that cable you just put ip address of same class ..
Then you can communicate between 2 pcs

--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)
From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI on
On Qui, 21 Jan 2010, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> 2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones
> that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home
> dir. Maybe
> some special option of rsync?

How are you calling rsync? That's exactly what it doesn't. It only
transfers files that have changed, and only the parts that have changed.

Naturally, it needs to look at each file to see if they are equal or
not, it cannot guess which files are changed. By default this is based
on the modification time (and possibly size, I'm not sure), which is
rather fast.

--
"Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
-- W. C. Fields

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On 21/01/2010 11:50, Kousik Maiti wrote:
> You need cross connected cable to connect 2 pc via lan card .
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
>
> After connecting 2 pc via that cable you just put ip address of same
> class . Then you can communicate between 2 pcs

A lot of modern interfaces on routers, nics etc have auto-sensing so you
can plug a straight-through between them and it will automatically turn
it in to a cross-over on the interface

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi to all Debian users.
>
> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
> need now is:
>
> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>
> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>
> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
> machines together.
>
> Thanks indeed for any help
> Rodolfo

I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.

Aioanei Rares schreef:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work
fine. What I
>> need now is:
>>
>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>
>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files
that really
>> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>
>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never
connected two
>> machines together.

Set up a small network. It might be an option to buy a router with a
dhcp server (should be possible for a few 10$'s). That saves some
configuration hassle. Else just buy a crosslink cable and set the
networks on both computers appropriately.
> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.
Run:
rsync -auvz --delete ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc /dir/on/this/pc
to get the new stuff from the other pc to the one you're currently
working on. To update, just reverse:
rsync -auvz --delete /dir/on/this/pc ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc

-auvz does:
-a => archive: saves permissions, users etc,
-u => update: only newer files are transmitted. without this option
older changes will be transmitted too, which might result in a loss of
current changes
-v => verbose: can also use -P, giving a progress indicator
-z => compress: faster over (slow) networks

Sjoerd
PS. Aioanei: sorry for the double mail. Forgot to click `reply-to-list'

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Problem with Lenny
Next: Unable to start tightvncserver