From: Rodolfo Medina on
Hi to all Debian users.

I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
need now is:

1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;

2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
changed were copied, so to save useless time.

Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
machines together.

Thanks indeed for any help
Rodolfo

unison (has a gtk frontend too)
--
Leonardo Canducci

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi to all Debian users.
>
> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
> need now is:
>
> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>
> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>
> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
> machines together.

Unison will indeed do it, but the GUI will expect to find the source and
destination as directories. If you are already running a Samba
file-sharing server on one of the machines, that is the simplest way.
From what you say, I doubt that you are.

If you are not, and don't want the complication of Samba or NFS, then
you will need to learn some of the complication of rsync, which is the
command-line program which is used by Unison. It is very versatile, but
you will need only the most basic functions, and you will need to
arrange a means of transfer between the machines. SSH is much simpler to
organise than Samba, and is the preferred means anyway, and you may find
one or other of the installations already has the SSH daemon running. If
not, it's easy to organise with Debian.

--
Joe

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:54:13AM +0000, Joe wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
>> need now is:
>>
>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>
>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
>> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>
>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
>> machines together.
>>

> Unison will indeed do it, but the GUI will expect to find the source and
> destination as directories. If you are already running a Samba
> file-sharing server on one of the machines, that is the simplest way.
> From what you say, I doubt that you are.
>
> If you are not, and don't want the complication of Samba or NFS, then
> you will need to learn some of the complication of rsync, which is the
> command-line program which is used by Unison. It is very versatile, but
> you will need only the most basic functions, and you will need to
> arrange a means of transfer between the machines. SSH is much simpler to
> organise than Samba, and is the preferred means anyway, and you may find
> one or other of the installations already has the SSH daemon running. If
> not, it's easy to organise with Debian.

Don't forget rsync's --delete option, so that files that were deleted on
the source will also be deleted on the target drive. I imagine Unison
can do this too, but I've never used it. Anyway, make sure whatever
method you choose handles deleted files properly.

-Rob

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine.
>>> What I need now is:
>>>
>>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>>
>>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that
>>> really changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>>
>>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected
>>> two machines together.

Thanks to all who replied!

It seems that Samba and rsync are the two best way to do what I want. I
regularly use rsync to do my daily backups, but:

1) how do I connect the two machines? Any special cable, and where to put it?

2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones
that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home dir. Maybe
some special option of rsync?

Thanks again
Rodolfo

 |  Next  |  Last