From: Rodolfo Medina on

Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> Set up a small network. It might be an option to buy a router with a dhcp
> server (should be possible for a few 10$'s). That saves some configuration
> hassle. Else just buy a crosslink cable and set the networks on both computers
> appropriately.
>> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.
> Run:
> rsync -auvz --delete ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc /dir/on/this/pc
> to get the new stuff from the other pc to the one you're currently working
> on. To update, just reverse:
> rsync -auvz --delete /dir/on/this/pc ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc
>
> -auvz does:
> -a => archive: saves permissions, users etc,
> -u => update: only newer files are transmitted. without this option older
> changes will be transmitted too, which might result in a loss of current
> changes
> -v => verbose: can also use -P, giving a progress indicator
> -z => compress: faster over (slow) networks

Thanks for your explanation.

Do I have to install ssh?

I'm immediately searching shops for a crosslink cable, but then how do I "set
the networks on both computers appropriately"?

Sorry for my ignorance, but as I said, though I've been using Debian for some
years now, I've never managed two computers together before.

Rodolfo

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br> writes:

> How are you calling rsync? That's exactly what it doesn't. It only transfers
> files that have changed, and only the parts that have changed.
>
> Naturally, it needs to look at each file to see if they are equal or not, it
> cannot guess which files are changed. By default this is based on the
> modification time (and possibly size, I'm not sure), which is rather fast.

I'm always calliing it without the -u option. Maybe that's why it is so slow??
I do exactly:

rsync -vr --delete Mail News /mnt/pendrive1

Rodolfo

El Thursday 21 January 2010 13:34:32 Aioanei Rares va escriure:
> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.

Even simpler: use Unison

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6