From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-20 09:06, green wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote at 2010-03-19 21:55 -0500:
>>> ThinkPad T61 here with 7200RPM SATA HD:
>>> # hddtemp /dev/sda
>>> /dev/sda: WDC WD3200BEKT-******: 35�C
>>>
>>> The drive has been spinning for 3-4 hours now.
>> I'm impressed. What airflow? On my Thinkpad ?43, without proper
>> airflow the internal fan starts spinning loudly.
>
> What do you mean by airflow?

Under the case, where the fan expels hot air.

> I haven't modified the T61 case, and the fan
> doesn't seem to run any more often than with a 5400 RPM drive.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah. With a docking station (or suitably cut piece of wood), the fan
on my T43 only comes on during boot.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman
<sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> Probably the easiest way is to get yourself a usb 2.5'' sata case. Get
> the old drive out of your laptop and put the new one in. Boot with a
> live cd (knoppix, debian) and make the partitions to your liking on the
> new drive. Then, mount both drives and do a cp -a /media/olddrive
> /media/newdrive.
> Finally, chroot to /media/newdrive, do a grub-install /dev/sda (or
> whatever other device your new drive is mounted on), and check that if
> you have a swap partition the pointers in /etc are still okay. When
> done, reboot. If things fail, you'll always have your old drive as a
> safe backup.

thanks for that idea as well. that one seems quite doable and foolproof.

green schreef:
>> ok, does it help if i have another machine where i can mount both the
>> old laptop drive and the newer laptop drive and then do a copy
>> everything from old to new and still retain a working machine?
>
> You need a separate Linux, ideally. So you can use a different computer with
> Linux available or boot from LiveCD on your ThinkPad (I suppose your X61 has no
> CD drive).
Probably the easiest way is to get yourself a usb 2.5'' sata case. Get
the old drive out of your laptop and put the new one in. Boot with a
live cd (knoppix, debian) and make the partitions to your liking on the
new drive. Then, mount both drives and do a cp -a /media/olddrive
/media/newdrive.
Finally, chroot to /media/newdrive, do a grub-install /dev/sda (or
whatever other device your new drive is mounted on), and check that if
you have a swap partition the pointers in /etc are still okay. When
done, reboot. If things fail, you'll always have your old drive as a
safe backup.

Sjoerd

From: green on
Ron Johnson wrote at 2010-03-20 09:31 -0500:
> On 2010-03-20 09:06, green wrote:
> >Ron Johnson wrote at 2010-03-19 21:55 -0500:
> >>I'm impressed. What airflow? On my Thinkpad ?43, without proper
> >>airflow the internal fan starts spinning loudly.
> >
> >What do you mean by airflow?
>
> Under the case, where the fan expels hot air.

I should add that I am careful to (usually) use my ThinkPad on a flat surface
to maintain room for airflow underneath.
From: green on
Sjoerd Hardeman wrote at 2010-03-20 10:30 -0500:
> Finally, chroot to /media/newdrive, do a grub-install /dev/sda (or
> whatever other device your new drive is mounted on), and check that if
> you have a swap partition the pointers in /etc are still okay. When
> done, reboot. If things fail, you'll always have your old drive as a
> safe backup.

Yeah, I forgot to mention checking /etc/fstab.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: why does resolv.conf change?
Next: Problem with libXrender