From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-03-20 11:49, green wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote at 2010-03-20 09:31 -0500:
>>> What do you mean by airflow?
>> Under the case, where the fan expels hot air.
>
> I should add that I am careful to (usually) use my ThinkPad on a flat surface
> to maintain room for airflow underneath.

My desk is a bit more crowded... ;)

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman
<sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> Finally, chroot to /media/newdrive, do a grub-install /dev/sda (or
> whatever other device your new drive is mounted on),

everything is copied over to the new drive. grub-install is kicking me however.

# grub-install /dev/sdb1
grub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your
device.map.

i have found this link, http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622?page=0,0
but it requires a floppy disk, which my cd-rom lacking laptop has no
hope of having.

how can i go about installing grub with the new drive connected externally?

also, if all of the grub files are located in /boot/grub, and all the
kernels are the same, and the new larger drive has the boot flag, why
is it that the disk will not boot?

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM, green <greenfreedom10(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I forgot to mention checking /etc/fstab.

truthfully i dont know what i should be looking for here, but this is
a nano of fstab

#
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
/dev/sda1 / ext3
errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda5 none swap sw
0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

jeremy jozwik wrote at 2010-03-28 10:45 -0500:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM, green <greenfreedom10(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, I forgot to mention checking /etc/fstab.
>
> truthfully i dont know what i should be looking for here, but this is
> a nano of fstab

Basically, you just want to make sure that the partitions still match up.

Here, you have a single root filesystem plus swap area. If you partition your
new drive the same, you can probably leave this alone. If you partition
manually, you may have swap on partition 2 so you would need to change
"/dev/sda5" to "/dev/sda2". You can get the partition information from the new
drive with eg. "fdisk -l /dev/sdb".

Note that with 2 drives you will probably have sda and sdb; if you have your
new drive connected externally it will probably be sdb but when you move it
inside will become sda.

From: green on
jeremy jozwik wrote at 2010-03-28 10:42 -0500:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman
> <sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > Finally, chroot to /media/newdrive, do a grub-install /dev/sda (or
> > whatever other device your new drive is mounted on),
>
> everything is copied over to the new drive. grub-install is kicking me however.
>
> # grub-install /dev/sdb1
> grub-probe: error: Cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your
> device.map.

Sjoerd mentioned using chroot; are you? Hmm, maybe you need to bind mount
proc, sys, and dev also...

# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/somewhere
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/somewhere/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/somewhere/sys
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/somewhere/dev
# chroot /mnt/somewhere
# grub-install /dev/sdb1

"Check your device.map" means look at /boot/grub/device.map. It should look
something like this:
(hd0) /dev/sda

I think device.map maps BIOS drives (basically boot order in BIOS) to Linux
devices.

Perhaps if your new drive is connected externally you should change that to
sdb, run grub-install, and then change it back... I really am not sure about
that.

> also, if all of the grub files are located in /boot/grub, and all the
> kernels are the same, and the new larger drive has the boot flag, why
> is it that the disk will not boot?

grub is the bootloader, and runs soon after the BIOS; without it installed your
system will not boot.

Also, your laptop might not support booting from USB and booting likely will
not work through the adapter interface anyway. Of course you might have
installed the disk in the laptop, in which case the previous paragraph applies.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: why does resolv.conf change?
Next: Problem with libXrender