From: Huang, Tao on
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM, ABSDoug <absdoug(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've never heard this term "Symlink". I'm off to Google, but if you care to elaborate, please feel free!

i didn't notice that you are not familiar with the symbolic link solution.
actually, it's the simplest way.
i should have mentioned it in the first place.

$ man ln

and you'll have a rough idea about it.

let's say you winxp "C:" partition is mounted to "/media/xp" .
and the iTunes dir being sth like "c:\document and settings\user\...\iTunes" .
to link it to somewhere under \home, you do

$ ln -s "/media/xp/document and settings\user\...\iTunes"
"$HOME/path/to/your/destination"

such links are frequently used to share config files.

you can make symlinks between files or dirs.
be careful about the trailing slash. it's the same set of rules with mv and cp.

there's also a "--bind / --move" option for mount (check out the man page)
but symbolic links are totally enough for your case.

Tao

On Ma, 15 iun 10, 21:13:11, ABSDoug wrote:
> If this isn't on topic, sorry ahead of time & perhaps you can point me in the right place?
>
> I've been reading up on having a separate partition for your /home
> files. For quite some time, I've been using a ntfs partition named
> "storage" as it makes re-install or fresh install of OS much easier.

Yep.

> While it's WAAAAAY neat that two different distros of Linux can share
> the /home partition, I still need MS at times. I figure I can't be the
> only one, but after looking on the net, I couldn't decide the best
> way. I could use Linux to pull files off of the MS XP ntfs partition
> easy enough, but it seems cheesy. All the options to allow XP to see
> the Linux partition have permission issues as well as hidden
> extensions that can't be hidden. Dangerous trumps cheesy. It would
> seem grabbing what I need in XP partition from within Linux is the
> answer... is there something I've overlooked? I'm gunna get into
> virtualization at some point, but I'm just not ready to nuke XP, there
> are times it's the only thing I can get to work (like my Netbook
> internal 3G)

If this is a single-user system it should be enough to have all the
shared data on the NTFS partition and have a line like this in fstab:

LABEL=storage /home/abs/storage ntfs-3g uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=113,dmask=002,users 0

(labels are safer than device names and I assumed abs is your username)

The uid= and gid= parameters should match your uid and gid. Use 'id' to
find them out (most probably 1000). Also make sure you install the
package ntfs-3g. For the other parameters see 'man mount'.

Regards,
Andrei