From: ABSDoug on
If this isn't on topic, sorry ahead of time & perhaps you can point me in the right place?

I've been reading up on having a separate partition for your /home files. For quite some time, I've been using a ntfs partition named "storage" as it makes re-install or fresh install of OS much easier. While it's WAAAAAY neat that two different distros of Linux can share the /home partition, I still need MS at times. I figure I can't be the only one, but after looking on the net, I couldn't decide the best way. I could use Linux to pull files off of the MS XP ntfs partition easy enough, but it seems cheesy. All the options to allow XP to see the Linux partition have permission issues as well as hidden extensions that can't be hidden. Dangerous trumps cheesy. It would seem grabbing what I need in XP partition from within Linux is the answer... is there something I've overlooked? I'm gunna get into virtualization at some point, but I'm just not ready to nuke XP, there are times it's the only thing I can get to work (like my Netbook internal 3G)

On 06/15/2010 11:13 PM, ABSDoug wrote:
> If this isn't on topic, sorry ahead of time& perhaps you
> can point me in the right place?
>
> I've been reading up on having a separate partition for your
> /home files. For quite some time, I've been using a ntfs partition
> named "storage" as it makes re-install or fresh install of OS
> much easier. While it's WAAAAAY neat that two different distros
> of Linux can share the /home partition, I still need MS at times.

As do many of us.

> I figure I can't be the only one, but after looking on the net,
> I couldn't decide the best way.

To do what, exactly? Access files or triple boot?

> I could use Linux to pull files
> off of the MS XP ntfs partition easy enough, but it seems cheesy.

What's so cheesy about it?

> All the options to allow XP to see the Linux partition have
> permission issues as well as hidden extensions that can't be hidden.
> Dangerous trumps cheesy. It would seem grabbing what I need in
> XP partition from within Linux is the answer... is there something
> I've overlooked?

Not unless there's something you aren't telling us. Like how your
Subject doesn't seem to match the contents of your post.

--
Seek truth from facts.

--- On Wed, 6/16/10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> To do what, exactly?  Access files or triple boot?

Sorry, I'm triple booting now, I'm planning on changing /home file to their own partition.

> What's so cheesy about it?

Cheesy that I wouldn't just write straight to the partition with /home files, from XP. The way I have it setup now, info is stored on a ntfs named "storage", any OS can read/write. That said, I don't really use XP that much anyway.

> Not unless there's something you aren't telling us.
> Like how your Subject doesn't seem to match the contents of
> your post.

Should I rename the thread? Sorry if I did a bad job on the subject.

On 06/16/2010 01:34 AM, ABSDoug wrote:
> --- On Wed, 6/16/10, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> To do what, exactly? Access files or triple boot?
>
> Sorry, I'm triple booting now, I'm planning on changing /home file to their own partition.

Triple booting and creating a /home partition are orthogonal tasks.

>> What's so cheesy about it?
>
> Cheesy that I wouldn't just write straight to the partition with /home files, from XP. The way I have it setup now, info is stored on a ntfs named "storage", any OS can read/write. That said, I don't really use XP that much anyway.

No sane person would. If you *do* treat "storage" as /home, then
You're Doing It Wrong.

>> Not unless there's something you aren't telling us.
>> Like how your Subject doesn't seem to match the contents of
>> your post.
>
> Should I rename the thread? Sorry if I did a bad job on the subject.

What you do a bad job of is using Yahoo, somehow blasting the thread
model, and not word wrapping. I lay most of the blame on Yahoo.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM, ABSDoug <absdoug(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cheesy that I wouldn't just write straight to the partition with /home files, from XP. The way I have it setup now, info is stored on a ntfs named "storage", any OS can read/write. That said, I don't really use XP that much anyway.

why do you need to access the /home partition when using winxp?
ntfs doesn't support POXIS file ownership and permissions natively. so
keep you /home partition to a linux filesystem.
you can have a separate storage partition for shared documents and
files, mount it to the /home hierarchy or somewhere else, and access
it with each of your installed os.

btw, what's keeping you from moving your winxp into virtualization?

Regards,
Tao