From: Chris Jackson on
Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2010/1/6 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net>:
>> From what I understand about Linux in general, no. At the very least, doing
>> so your be overly complicated.

> Thanks, Boyd, that was actually ver informative. As there is no room
> for a second tower, I will see about modding the existing tower for
> two motherboards. There actually is room, only the CPU cooling tubes
> might be problematic.
>
> Oh, and I'm going to have to see if a single 500W power supply with
> another pigtail soldered will power both! That should probably be the
> weak point in the system!

I actually think this just might be possible, although I'm by no means
sure. I've got as far as running an X session on a separate video card
in the past, for display purposes only (that is, we ran for example
`DISPLAY=0:1 mplayer' to use the alternate display). I experimented
briefly with trying to get an actual xdm session on there, and while I
could get it to start, the problem was in picking up which device which
keyboard/mouse was attached to.

I'm curious about whether this is possible with udev, since that was in
the days before it - I think it may - possibly - be, and might have some
time to experiment this weekend if you're still interested.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowat Systems Ltd.

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Nick Douma <n.douma(a)nekoconeko.nl> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have a desktop computer with onboard VGA and option to add a
>> discrete video card. It has plenty of spare USB ports for mice and
>> keyboards.
>>
>> Does Debian support using this computer for _two_ workstations, each
>> with their own user accounts, monitor, and keyboard? The goal is to
>> save space, electricity, and maintenance in a cramped desk in which
>> now two people must each have their own computer (home environment). I
>> prefer to stick with Lenny but am willing to experiment with Squeeze
>> or even a Debian derivative if need be. Thanks in advance.
>>

> I've read an article years ago where they did what you trying to do,
> with eight workplaces. I found an entry on Wikipedia that might be a
> good starting point, it also contains a link to the X.org wiki page on
> the subject:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiseat_configuration
Another link which could be improved if you find any issue :):
http://wiki.debian.org/Multi_Seat_Debian_HOWTO

Regards,

Chris Jackson put forth on 1/6/2010 8:34 AM:

> I'm curious about whether this is possible with udev, since that was in
> the days before it - I think it may - possibly - be, and might have some
> time to experiment this weekend if you're still interested.

Now all you have to do is hack sound for two sessions. Of course, he'll need
two sound cards or a USB sound card and a second set of speakers.

--
Stan

> seems pretty straight forward
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultiseatX

Thanks, there is some great info there. And as Ubuntu is a Debian
derive, this looks quite what I need.

Thank you!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

> I personally would be more inclined to try it from a single system.  It might
> be considerably simpler than your modding, and it would definitely be more
> interesting, in my opinion.

Simpler if software is your field. Engineering is mine! As for which
is more interesting, I can take pics of a mod!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il