From: Kelly Clowers on
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 09:03, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> John Hasler put forth on 1/6/2010 10:21 AM:
>> Stan writes:
>>> What about sound?
>>
>> Two sound cards.  Sound is handled entirely seperately from video.
>
> No kidding?  (sarcasm)
>
> The question is how do you configure the 2nd user session to use a secondary
> sound device?  That is what the original OP needs to know.

Each user runs PA per-user as normal, and simply selects the sound device
they use in pavucontrol.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

> I honestly don't know if what you want to do is possible, or if so
> how.  It wouldn't surprise me if Debian can support two monitors
> on the same workstation.  It would surprise me if Debian can support
> two different keyboards on the same workstation.  But I really don't
> know.  But here's something that I know is possible.  If you have
> a real ASCII terminal, such as a VT100, a serial port on your CPU
> case, and a "crossover" serial cable (or a "straight" serial cable
> and a null modem), it is possible to connect the ASCII terminal
> to the serial port and use it to login to your system.  Of course,
> this won't provide you with a graphical user interface, only a
> full-screen ASCII terminal.
>
> I actually have a couple of ASCII terminals, and I've always
> wanted to hook one up to one of my Debian boxes, but I've never
> gotten around to it; so I won't be of much practical, step-by-step
> help.  If you decide to go that route, and you get it working,
> please let me know what you did and how you did it.

Thanks, Stephen, but I do need a GUI system.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

> Just get one of these and install Debian via USB thumb drive netinst:
>
> http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> It's only 4" x 4.5" x 1.05"  I just measured and it's smaller than my hand.

That looks pretty good, but it is very short on RAM (1 GB) and the FAQ
is very clear that it cannot be upgraded. Bummer.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

> The question is how do you configure the 2nd user session to use a secondary
> sound device?  That is what the original OP needs to know.

That looks like something that Pulse Audio should be able to handle. I
understand that sound routing is native in PA.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

2010/1/6 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Just get one of these and install Debian via USB thumb drive netinst:
>>>
>>> http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>>>
>>> It's only 4" x 4.5" x 1.05"  I just measured and it's smaller than my hand.
>>>

>> That looks pretty good, but it is very short on RAM (1 GB) and the FAQ
>> is very clear that it cannot be upgraded. Bummer.
>>

> Since the only thing running on it will be the OS and an X server
> (applications are run at the "server" computer), 1Gb should be more than
> enough.

Use it as a thin client? That might work...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il