From: Celejar on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 05:36:42 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale(a)pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Mon December 21 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > 2)  From the appropriate directory, run make menuconfig (or xconfig or
> > whatever you prefer) and configure appropriately
>
> I think I have done this before, I think I tried it for a 64bit kernel, for my
> Duo-Core processor, but it didn't turn out well. Seems to me the "configure'
> part takes 2 days, or way too many options. I seem to remember it asked
> whether i wanted support for every known piece of hardware out there, and I
> don't know when to say Y or N..

Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
of the same version.

Celejar

On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
> of the same version.

I downloaded 2.6.32.2 from kernel.org
config file from my kernel? 2.6.26.2 ?
would that work, and what is the config file?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to this one.  Read, read, read,
> and learn from your mistakes (you *will* make them).  To be safe,
> always err on the side of caution and enable anything not marked
> 'experimental' unless you're pretty sure that you don't need it or it
> shouldn't be there.

I don't use bluetooth, so I know I can turn that off.. I'll look around, and
play with it.

thanks!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459

On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > I think I have done this before, I think I tried it for a 64bit kernel,
> > for my Duo-Core processor, but it didn't turn out well. Seems to me the
> > "configure' part takes 2 days, or way too many options. I seem to
> > remember it asked whether i wanted support for every known piece of
> > hardware out there, and I don't know when to say Y or N..
>
> Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
> of the same version.

ok , so I found my config file, /usr/src/linux/.config . This is my config for
my currently running kernel, that includes all the modules I need to make all
of my hardware work?
so if I copied that to the folder where I unpacked the 2.6.32.2 kernel and ran
make menuconfig, and just accepted everything, it should create a kernel that
I can use?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Check the apropriate config from

http://merkel.debian.org/~jurij/

before doing make menuconfig do:

make oldconfig

then

make menuconfig

And I suppose to use tool like make-kpkg

See for example:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/kernel2.6.htm

Robert.