From: Celejar on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:26:20 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale(a)pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
> > of the same version.
>
> I downloaded 2.6.32.2 from kernel.org
> config file from my kernel? 2.6.26.2 ?
> would that work, and what is the config file?

What I meant was that if you build the source of a kernel that you
already have running on your system (e.g., from a debian package), then
you can copy over the config file that accompanies that kernel. For
example, let's say I have some linux-image-2.6.32* package installed
(for when my custom kernel breaks, or when I need immediate support for
something, and I don't have the time to build the support into my
custom kernel). If I wanted to build a custom 2.6.32, I'd download
some source for that version (either package 'linux-source-2.6.32', or
from kernel.org), and then copy over '/boot/config/config-2.6.32*' into
the source directory.

Copying over a config from an earlier kernel may work, but it may
leave some options not configured optimally. Even so, it will probably
be good for a starting point, which you can then look over and modify.

What I actually do is, whenever I build a new version, I begin by
copying my custom configuration into the new source directory, and then
look through it to see what interesting new options are there.

Celejar

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:38:12 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale(a)pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to this one.  Read, read, read,
> > and learn from your mistakes (you *will* make them).  To be safe,
> > always err on the side of caution and enable anything not marked
> > 'experimental' unless you're pretty sure that you don't need it or it
> > shouldn't be there.
>
> I don't use bluetooth, so I know I can turn that off.. I'll look around, and
> play with it.

Exactly. And you can turn off all the sound card and video drivers
except the one(s) you actually need, and the same for networking hw,
etc.

Celejar

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 17:36:29 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale(a)pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
> > > I think I have done this before, I think I tried it for a 64bit kernel,
> > > for my Duo-Core processor, but it didn't turn out well. Seems to me the
> > > "configure' part takes 2 days, or way too many options. I seem to
> > > remember it asked whether i wanted support for every known piece of
> > > hardware out there, and I don't know when to say Y or N..
> >
> > Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
> > of the same version.
>
> ok , so I found my config file, /usr/src/linux/.config . This is my config for
> my currently running kernel, that includes all the modules I need to make all
> of my hardware work?

Not sure what's in /usr/src/linux. I'd recommend going with the one under /boot.

> so if I copied that to the folder where I unpacked the 2.6.32.2 kernel and ran
> make menuconfig, and just accepted everything, it should create a kernel that
> I can use?

If you get the right config, it should.

Celejar

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 07:48:05 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Andrew Reid wrote:

> > It's likely the devices aren't being recognized in the initramfs --
> > possibly they require kernel modules which are not present by default.
>
> But I would think that to be the case of the custom kernel, not the
> Debian kernel. The small custom kernel recognizes both USB drives, the
> Debian kernel recognizes only one of them.

There's no obvious reason (to me) why it should go one way
or the other. Both custom kernels and the initramfs want to be
small, so they can both be selective. I can easily imagine a scenario
where, for convenience, you include all USB mass-storage drivers in
your custom kernel, but the initramfs decides USB might not be needed
at boot-time, and leaves a few out.

I don't actually know, one way or the other, I'm really just
guessing at this part.

> > If you know which modules drive these devices, add them by name
> > to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules (one module per line, I think), and
> > re-generate your initramfs with update-initramfs. This should allow
> > the udev scan in the initramfs to see the devices, and set them
> > up earlier.
>
> I have no idea, except to compare both initrd images.

One option is to compare the "dmesg" lines from the two kernels,
they generally report what they're doing during the device scan.

Another option is to query the live device when it's plugged in
to the system, and ask it what module is being used. I don't actually
know how to do this, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. There are
lots of udev tools, maybe one of those.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac(a)bellatlantic.net

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/22/2009 4:36 PM:
> On Tue December 22 2009, Celejar wrote:
>>> I think I have done this before, I think I tried it for a 64bit kernel,
>>> for my Duo-Core processor, but it didn't turn out well. Seems to me the
>>> "configure' part takes 2 days, or way too many options. I seem to
>>> remember it asked whether i wanted support for every known piece of
>>> hardware out there, and I don't know when to say Y or N..
>>
>> Try 'make menuconfig', or copy over a config file from a running kernel
>> of the same version.
>
> ok , so I found my config file, /usr/src/linux/.config . This is my config for
> my currently running kernel, that includes all the modules I need to make all
> of my hardware work?
> so if I copied that to the folder where I unpacked the 2.6.32.2 kernel and ran
> make menuconfig, and just accepted everything, it should create a kernel that
> I can use?

Paul, have you read this yet? It will be very helpful.

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

--
Stan