From: Paul Cartwright on
On Wed December 23 2009, Celejar wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what you've tried, but if you're building the
> kernel itself from source, you shouldn't be installing any header
> packages - they're only for when you need to build stuff against a
> kernel for which you don't have the source.

I think I'm trying to do too much:)
you are probably right, I don't need the headers. Except, it seems to me I
need the headers for my NVIDIA modules. Every time I get a nre kernel, I also
get the headers to build the nvidia drivers..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/23/2009 7:47 PM:
> On Wed December 23 2009, Celejar wrote:
>> I'm not sure exactly what you've tried, but if you're building the
>> kernel itself from source, you shouldn't be installing any header
>> packages - they're only for when you need to build stuff against a
>> kernel for which you don't have the source.
>
> I think I'm trying to do too much:)
> you are probably right, I don't need the headers. Except, it seems to me I
> need the headers for my NVIDIA modules. Every time I get a nre kernel, I also
> get the headers to build the nvidia drivers..

I'm not sure how to help you here. I only use Debian and custom kenels for
headless servers, i.e. text console only, so I've never dealt with GPU drivers.

I'm sure Gooogle can find you plenty of instructions on how to do a custom
kernel w/nVidia drivers. Many have come down this path before you Paul.

Remember what many of us have said: "Building a custom kernel is as much about
learning as it is about accomplishing". Becoming proficient at building a
custom kernel can take a while, sometimes months, sometimes years, depending on
one's aptitude and technical chops. The more gifted one is, the quicker this
learning process. The bulk of the Linux kernel deals with the hardware of the
machines. If you are really into hardware, and by that I mean knowing the chips
on the motherboard and expansion cards, and the basic/advanced functions of
each, you'll be much better off when building your own kernels. If you're not a
HardwareFreak, like me, it'll take you a little longer.

--
Stan

On Thu December 24 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Remember what many of us have said:  "Building a custom kernel is as much
> about learning as it is about accomplishing".  Becoming proficient at
> building a custom kernel can take a while, sometimes months, sometimes
> years, depending on one's aptitude and technical chops.  The more gifted
> one is, the quicker this learning process.  The bulk of the Linux kernel
> deals with the hardware of the machines.  If you are really into hardware,
> and by that I mean knowing the chips on the motherboard and expansion
> cards, and the basic/advanced functions of each, you'll be much better off
> when building your own kernels.  If you're not a HardwareFreak, like me,
> it'll take you a little longer.

when I worked for AT&T I was in the minicomputer group. I used to install thei
3B2/3B5 lineof UNIX computers. I was the only tech in DC that was able to do
a 3B5 to 3B15 upgrade. The 3B5 was a refrigerator sized cabinet, the 3B15 was
TWO cabinets. This is back in the 386 era, where there was IRQ's and such..
There were paddles, and wire wrapped pins, and it took days to put one of
those beasts together. I also used to install AT&T Unix SYS V on a 386,
dual-boot with Windows & OS/2.. but I'm used to having the manuals in front
of me:)
what I don't know right now, is which kernels to select for Debian, what are
my choices? Or a better question is, how high can I go:-0)
from kernel.org I got the latest, 2.6.32 and also 2.6.31.9 . I keep getting
errors when I try to make them.. and I do want my NVIDIA card to work, so I
will need the headers too.

--
http://usdebtclock.org/

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 internal ATA HDD's and 2 disks in external USB enclosures.
>
> When you boot (this is Sid) the 2 USB disks report their presence
> between the messages:

> and
> 'Init 2.86 booting'
> in the very beginning of the boot process.
>
> Now the funny part: in my homegrown kernel both show up together. But
> with recent Debian kernel images only one shows up. I have a delay of 10
> secs. in initramfs-tools but that makes no difference.
>
> The 2nd USB disk shows up eventually, but after 'Init 2.86 booting' when
> it is too late to be of use by fstab.
>
> This isn't the first time I've asked this, but nobody seems to have an
> answer.

This has been solved by Ben Hutchings and was reported as

The solution was to put ums-cypress in /etc/initramfs/modules and rerun
update-initramfs -u for that kernel. Linux debian 2.6.32-trunk-686

The explanation I don't get.
You would have thought that the homegrown kernel would fail because it
does not use ums-cypress, the Debian kernel does.

Hugo

On Saturday 16 January 2010 12:33:32 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> This has been solved by Ben Hutchings and was reported as
>
> The solution was to put ums-cypress in /etc/initramfs/modules and rerun
> update-initramfs -u for that kernel. Linux debian 2.6.32-trunk-686

Excellent news. Also, thanks for posting the solution to the list,
where others can find it.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac(a)bellatlantic.net