From: Liam O'Toole on
On 2010-04-14, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enigFA5FB73CBD21A1915422D995
>
> Liam O'Toole schreef:
---SNIP---
>> While the update-java-alternatives command is useful, it helps only if
>> the package already provides an alternative. The OP has to set up the
>> alternative manually.
> or use backports.org to install a more recent version of Sun's java.

I don't see a lenny-backports version:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sun-java6-plugin

Is it available but under a different name?

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Liam O'Toole schreef:
> On 2010-04-14, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
>> --------------enigFA5FB73CBD21A1915422D995
>>
>> Liam O'Toole schreef:
> ---SNIP---
>>> While the update-java-alternatives command is useful, it helps only if
>>> the package already provides an alternative. The OP has to set up the
>>> alternative manually.
>> or use backports.org to install a more recent version of Sun's java.
>
> I don't see a lenny-backports version:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sun-java6-plugin
>
> Is it available but under a different name?

It's there (in non-free):
http://www.backports.org/debian/pool/non-free/s/sun-java6/

Sjoerd

From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:04:00 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

(...)

> After reloading Iceweasel, about:plugins still showed the previous JRE I
> was using, /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java.
>
> Assuming that I can use a later version of JRE downloaded from Sun on
> Iceweasel 3.5, am I on the right track but did not get the newer version
> set up correctly, or is there a different way?

Just a side note about java/java plugin download from Oracle/Sun site.

Last time I had to install it in that way on a linux system I needed to
make a symlink for the plugin to work in Firefox, as described in the
Installation Guide ("Enable and Configure" section):

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#enable

But nowadays, the proper way for setting this should be using "update-
alternatives" as you mentioned above.

What is the output of "update-alternatives --display firefox-
javaplugin.so" command?

Mine shows:

stt008:~# update-alternatives --display firefox-javaplugin.so
firefox-javaplugin.so - el estado es auto.
el enlace apunta actualmente a /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/
libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so - prioridad 63
Actualmente la «mejor» versión es /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/amd64/
libnpjp2.so.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón