From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
>Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
>it, IME.
>
>When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
>click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
>or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
>
>Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
>the reverse.

Thanks for that information, Charlie.
--ron
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
>Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is worth
>it, IME.
>
>When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
>click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2 GB
>or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
>
>Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
>the reverse.

One other question.

I see that W7 has an XP "emulator" or virtual PC. If I set up W7 64-bit, can I
emulate XP 32bit? (I have some programs that are not supposed to run in 64-bit
mode)
--ron
From: Drew on
"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:28:43 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:
>
>>Storage settings are not the same. But there are simlinks to them.
>>Everything is different. It WILL take you a while to adjust. But it is
>>worth
>>it, IME.
>>
>>When you do run WET, you can choose to "Customize" what you save, and then
>>click Advanced to fine tune beyond that. I've got mine down to about 1.2
>>GB
>>or so, but haven't any desire to go below that.
>>
>>Yes, you can use WET to go from 32-bit Windows ot 64-bit Windows. Just not
>>the reverse.
>
> One other question.
>
> I see that W7 has an XP "emulator" or virtual PC. If I set up W7 64-bit,
> can I
> emulate XP 32bit? (I have some programs that are not supposed to run in
> 64-bit
> mode)
> --ron

All Windows 64-bit OSs have a 32-bit compatability mode including VMs. So;
without having direct experience with Win7 yet, the answer would be yes.
WinXP 64-bit was not a "real" product in the first place, meaning OEM only.
So I think that was the main reason for this feature.

Drew

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Yes, there is a separate download for Windows Virtual PC and XPMode. It
allows you to run a separate XP virtual machine. This is primarily for
applications that won't run on Vista/Win7, not so much for 32-bit
compatibility, though it does that too. Most 32-bit applications, however,
don't require anything special at all.

Note that Windows VPC is only available for Professional, Enterprise, and
Ultimate editions of Win7.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:38:38 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>Yes, there is a separate download for Windows Virtual PC and XPMode. It
>allows you to run a separate XP virtual machine. This is primarily for
>applications that won't run on Vista/Win7, not so much for 32-bit
>compatibility, though it does that too. Most 32-bit applications, however,
>don't require anything special at all.
>
>Note that Windows VPC is only available for Professional, Enterprise, and
>Ultimate editions of Win7.

Thanks Charlie. I was planning to obtain the Professional variation (not
needing BitLocker which seems to be the only advantage of Ultimate).

There are some programs I use regularly for which their support staff states
specifically that they don't work on 64-bit OS's yet (including Vista and XP).
Hence, my concern.
--ron