From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:37:52 -0500, "Drew" <dam(a)dam.com> wrote:

>All Windows 64-bit OSs have a 32-bit compatability mode including VMs. So;
>without having direct experience with Win7 yet, the answer would be yes.
>WinXP 64-bit was not a "real" product in the first place, meaning OEM only.
>So I think that was the main reason for this feature.

Thank you for that information, Drew.
--ron
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Yes, there are programs that don't work in 64-bit. Anything that has 16bit
code in it, including the installer, for one. Anything that is a DOS
program. And a very few others, usually because they're dependent on a
driver which isn't yet available in 64-bit.Whether these same programs will
run in a virtual machine is a question you'll have to ask the vendor.

Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
good deal more limited.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:53:13 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>Yes, there are programs that don't work in 64-bit. Anything that has 16bit
>code in it, including the installer, for one. Anything that is a DOS
>program. And a very few others, usually because they're dependent on a
>driver which isn't yet available in 64-bit.Whether these same programs will
>run in a virtual machine is a question you'll have to ask the vendor.
>
>Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
>have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
>support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
>good deal more limited.

Well, I did run the Windows 7 tool, and it told me my hardware was OK for
W7-64Bit. Intel Core 2 (I think E6700) and, when I ran the tool, 2GB RAM. I
know have 6GB RAM (after populating the two empty memory slots on my MB with
another 2GB per slot).

I would have gone to 8GB instead of 6GB, but then I would have had to throw out
the 2GB I already had. Hopefully there won't be much difference.
--ron
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:53:13 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>Note please that Windows VPC and XPMode are only supported on machines that
>have hardware virtualization. If you have a 64-bit system that doesn't
>support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V), your options get a
>good deal more limited.

I meant I ran the tool that told me I could run Windows VPC and XPMode. It
might have been a different tool.
--ron
From: Harry&amp;amp;#39;s GMail World on
On Oct 25, 7:21 am, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...(a)nospam.org> wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows 7.  I also have several
> modules of Office 2007 installed in XP.
>
> Since this will be a "clean install" of Windows 7, what do I need to do to
> ensure I will be able to activate Office after doing the W7 installation?
>
> --ron

I install Office 7 to a Win 7 Beta. It was a dual boot. I did not
notice anything different.