From: Richard Hartmann on
Hi all,

my new drive comes with LightScribe support.

>From what I can tell, there are little to none FLOSS solutions. LaCiE
seems to offer a closed source solution that supposedly runs on
Linux, but I am loath to try it for the simple reason that it's closed.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:28:34 +0100
Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist(a)gmail.com> dijo:

>Hi all,
>
>my new drive comes with LightScribe support.
>
>>From what I can tell, there are little to none FLOSS solutions. LaCiE
>seems to offer a closed source solution that supposedly runs on
>Linux, but I am loath to try it for the simple reason that it's closed.
>
>Any and all help appreciated.

I have two Lightscribe DVD drives in my desktop computer (Intrepid,
x86_64) that I built a couple years ago. Anxious to try them out, I
installed the LaCie software. Two points:

1) The image is black and white only

2) It takes about five minutes to finish

3) The image quality sucks, although you can get better results by
burning twice.

I used Lighscribe to put a graphic on a few distro CDs for friends, and
then never used Lightscribe again.

I still want to be able to put an image on a CD or DVD, but I guess the
only way to do that properly is with an inkjet. But if I do it only
once every few months I'll have clogged jets, wasted ink from cleaning,
and constant headaches. So I just continue to use a sharpie.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 22:12, John Jason Jordan <johnxj(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> 1) The image is black and white only

Yes, I was aware of that. You can get colored CD/DVD blanks, though.

> 3) The image quality sucks, although you can get better results by
> burning twice.

Doesn't LightScribe start at a random location, i.e. wouldn't burning
twice mess everything up?

> I still want to be able to put an image on a CD or DVD, but I guess the
> only way to do that properly is with an inkjet. But if I do it only
> once every few months I'll have clogged jets, wasted ink from cleaning,
> and constant headaches. So I just continue to use a sharpie.

I use sharpies as well, but having seen pictures of LightScribe-enabled
disks, I want to try it, at least.
Also, I read that there has been an update which improves image
quality.

Richard

On 23/12/09 12:28:34 PM, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my new drive comes with LightScribe support.
>
> >From what I can tell, there are little to none FLOSS solutions.
> LaCiE
> seems to offer a closed source solution that supposedly runs on
> Linux, but I am loath to try it for the simple reason that it's
> closed.
>
> Any and all help appreciated.

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be much choice. I have installed both the
lacie and the app from lightscribe and they both work as expected on
debian.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 22:26, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I read that there has been an update which improves image
> quality.

http://www.mivadika.com/images/2007/september/LightScribe.jpg

Richard