From: Clueless in Seattle on
Hi! I'm new to wireless and need some help figuring out where to enter the
settings so I can use my "new" (hand-me-down) laptop in the neighborhood
library.

The library web page says:

Wi-Fi users must configure their own equipment and connect to the network
using these settings:

* SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name = spl-public:
* Encryption or WEP = disable WEP encryption
* Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad-hoc)
* Set TCP/IP properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (DHCP)
* End of list

I don't have a clue where to enter these settings.

Can someone help me?

--
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
From: Lem on
Clueless in Seattle wrote:
> Hi! I'm new to wireless and need some help figuring out where to enter the
> settings so I can use my "new" (hand-me-down) laptop in the neighborhood
> library.
>
> The library web page says:
>
> Wi-Fi users must configure their own equipment and connect to the network
> using these settings:
>
> * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name = spl-public:
> * Encryption or WEP = disable WEP encryption
> * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad-hoc)
> * Set TCP/IP properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (DHCP)
> * End of list
>
> I don't have a clue where to enter these settings.
>
> Can someone help me?

I assume that you have some version of Windows XP. The first thing to
do is to ensure that you the wireless adapter in your laptop is turned on.

Click Start > Connect to and click "Show all connections." There should
be an icon for "Wireless network connection" or something similar.
Right-click on this icon. The top entry in the pop-up menu should be
"Disable." If it says "Enable," click on Enable.

Right-click on the wireless network connection icon and select
Properties. You should see something like this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Connections/Wireless_Network_Connection/Properties/General/Index--2.shtml

Under the heading "This connection uses the following items" you should
see the following 4 entries:
Client for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click Properties. You'll get
this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Connections/Wireless_Network_Connection/Properties/General/TCPIP_Properties/Auto_DNS.shtml
Make sure that the radio buttons to obtain an IP address and a DNS
server automatically are both selected. Click OK.

Back on the Properties sheet, click the "Wireless Networks" tab. Make
sure that the box on the top "Use Windows to configure my wireless
network settings" is checked. Click the "View wireless networks" button.
You should see this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Connections/Wireless_Network_Connection/View_Wireless_Networks/Index.shtml

Find "spl-public" in the list. Select it and click the Connect button.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Don Phillipson on
"Clueless in Seattle" <CluelessinSeattle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6C474470-B783-487D-9DEE-8C0492D824FA(a)microsoft.com...
> Hi! I'm new to wireless and need some help figuring out where to enter
the
> settings so I can use my "new" (hand-me-down) laptop in the neighborhood
> library.
>
> The library web page says:
>
> Wi-Fi users must configure their own equipment and connect to the network
> using these settings:
>
> * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name = spl-public:
> * Encryption or WEP = disable WEP encryption
> * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not
ad-hoc)
> * Set TCP/IP properties to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (DHCP)
> * End of list
>
> I don't have a clue where to enter these settings.
>
> Can someone help me?

Search on the Internet for the manual for your
particular laptop. You will probably find it. Basic
manuals tell you how to configure the wireless connection.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Clueless in Seattle on
Thanks, Lem, for those detailed instructions. I certainly appreciate all the
effort you put into your message to help me out.

Yes, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1, Service Pack 3

My start menu doesn't have any item named "Connect to..." I received this
secon hand laptop with the operating system and all the software already
installed, so the previous owner may have monkeyed with the Start menu.

So I tried Start>Settings>Network Connections>Wireless Connection 3 and then
right clicked. And that got got me to the menu with "Disable" at the top.

So I clicked "Properties" and that seemed to get me to the right place.

Everything is set the way you described. (Previous to posting my query here
I did go in and try to set what I could on my own)

But I cant seem to find the settings for:

* Encryption or WEP = disable WEP encryption
* Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad-hoc)

Do I need to worry about find where to set them? Or will Windows take care
of them for me automatically?

I'm disabled, don't have a car, and this is a rather large and heavy
laptop, So I'd like to try to make sure that I've got it set up correctly
before I make the trek over to the library to test out the Wi-Fi card.

The reason I want to be able to use the library's Wi-Fi is that I'm planning
to reformat the HD and reinstall the XP operating system. And I figure I'm
going to have to download a lot of updates. At home I use a free dial-up
ISP, and it would probably tie up my phone line for days trying to download
them all.

So I want to make sure I know how to properly set up the network card,
because after the reformatting and re-installation of XP, I'm going to have
to do this all over again.

Thanks again for putting together that detailed set of instructions!
--
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

From: Clueless in Seattle on
Thanks for that suggestion. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my
query.

I do have a PDF file of the laptop manual, and I did hunt through it for
help, but it just says:

"Setting up a wireless connection

"For information on how to set up a wireless connection, refer
to your wireless networking device documentation."

--
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"