From: RustyM on
Hi, I have a 4 year old wireless Laptop that recently had viruses, trojans,
etc removed.
Ever since the infection 'got removed', my wireless connection keeps on
coming and going. The little icon does not show that it has connectivity has
gone. It always looks like it is 'on'. But when I click to go to sites,
nothing hapens. moments/minutes later, it works again. But this is
constantly and randomly; IE7 or Firefox or anything.

*Here is what I want to try. I have a linksys USB wireless network adapter
that i am using on a desktop. Will plugging/installing that device to my
wireless laptop help in determining if the issue is mechanical on the
laptop?
*On the same note, if I connect my Laptop directly to the Qwest modem, will
that also determine anything?
Will I have to install the CD with either option?
When I try either option, what do I need to do on my laptop before trying
it? turn off the wireless button? etc?

Note that before the LT infection, all was working perfectly.
windows xp home edition sp2 IE7

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Try this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Pavel A. on
No malware removal procedure is perfect... You still may need a clean
install.
--pa

From: RustyM on
Hi Jack,
I tried the fixes you suggested and ran 'winsock' and that 'LSP'; But that
did not work to fix my issues. The connection still comes and goes randomly
throughout the day. I did some reading on
www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnetand and decided to run CWS shredder and
it found and removed 2 things but it did not fix my wireless issue.

BTW, I took my laptop to a hospital and was able to connect there, BUT the
same thing was happening there; connection still would come and go..So again
I confirmed that it is not my home connection but rather, the laptop.
Thanks and if you have something else I can try, please let me know.

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Look at the Wireless Card's drivers menu and set them Not to save Power.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
Do the same in any other spot in the laptop that involve configuration of
Power saving.
I.e set the Wireless to work at Max. capacity and not to go to sleep to save
power.
There always the possibility thta the wireless card itself is approaching
End Of Life too.
I.e., you might need a new Wireless card.