From: Zootal on
Firstly, are there no Windows 7 specific groups?

This really isn't a 64 bit issue - I suppose the 32 bit version does the
same thing. With XP and prior version of windows, I could put directories on
the start menu so that I could press Start followed by the first letter of
the directory, and it would open that directory. Since "Run" started with an
R, and I didn't have anything else there that started with R, I could go
Start-R and the run dialog would appear. Is it possible to get Win7 to do
this?

From: XS11E on
"Zootal" <msnews(a)spam.zootal.nospam.com> wrote:

> Firstly, are there no Windows 7 specific groups?

Yes, but not on the MSFT servers. There's an alt.windows7 but many
servers don't carry it.

Other than that you're stuck with the horrible web interface on
technet.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Kerry Brown on
Start-ru works on mine. I like Winkey-R as that works on most versions of
Windows.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

From: Zootal on
Hmm...must be some way then to disable the search dialog. If I press the
Start button on my keyboard, the start menu appears with the cursor in a box
"Search programs and files"....I need to look some more...

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Zootal.

Don't release the WinKey; hold it down like the Shift key while you press
the R key; that produces "Run". WinKey+E starts Windows Explorer; WinKey+D
(for Desktop) hides all the icons on your desktop - or brings them back.

The Windows logo key - often labeled Start and sometimes called the Search
key, since it does that, too, in Win7 - works like the <Alt> key if you
press and release, or like the <Ctrl> key if you hold it down.

And the Usenet newsgroup for Win7 is alt.windows7.general. Sadly, the same
trolls who have trashed vista.general have already discovered that NG and
are out-grossing each other in trashing it, too. :>(

In spite of the protests from many MVPs and other users, Microsoft decided
to NOT support Win7 in newsgroups; only in web-based forums.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX