From: Marc Shapiro on
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu,18.Mar.10, 13:04:58, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> The difference
>> being the lack of the Realtek network adaptor under
>> Debian. That
>> is certainly where the problem lies. Why would Debian
>> not detect
>> the adaptor at all?
>
> That's exactly what I was expecting and why I asked
> for the output of the command below.

>> > What about 'grep -i firmware /var/log/syslog'?

> This should give you a hint about what's
> missing, but it should be 'firmware-ralink'

As I said in my reply to Stephen, I have installed wireless-tools and after loading the rtl8187se module I have a pan0 device listed by iwconfig. Unfortunately, running 'ifup pan0' does bring the interface up so that it shows in 'ifconfig' but does NOT turn the radio on, so I still get no wireless networks. Is there firmware in firmware-ralink that gets that next step to work? Running 'aptitude show firmware-ralink' does not mention rtl8187se. Is it included in one of the many chipsets and devices that it does mention?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42(a)yahoo.com