From: Falcon ITS on
On Jan 12, 11:06 am, "zz" <z...(a)zz.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info Lem, appreciate it.  Another newb question, can wireless
> network monitoring software then track one's wireless activity when say
> browsing the internet and sending/receiving personal emails from their own
> cell phone device with one's own cell phone carrier?

You cell phone can pick up two types of wireless :

1. The type that connects to cell phone towers (I think its GSM but
that's not my field). There are tools that just became available to
hack the sugnal which has been around since the 80's and is in need of
update. So, phone calls and data can be intercepted.

2. Wireless Frequency like B+G which you use to log into hotspots, or
home wireless routers also have encryption algorithms that can be
hacked. Also, many phone loke BB and IPhone have radios that can use
these types of wireless signals. If you, for example, log into you
local neighborhood's unsecured wireless, you take the risk that that
person has a sniffer and is listening in and looking at your plain
text data (ouch!). The same can happen at work, if the IT manager has
a gateway device that logs usage (like an IP filter) he can usually
track traffic back to your phone. But that all depends on the
equipment that is in place.

Miguel
http://www.falconits.com
Computer Service and Support

From: zz on
Thanks also Miguel. Would tethering or use the 'phone as modem' feature on
the cell phone device on machine 'A' be detected from another different
machine 'B' wireless software monitor and be considered a rogue access point
even though machine 'A' like mentioned is using it's own cell phone
service's network plan only and not trying to enter the other machine 'B's
network?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
When a telephone is used as a Modem the Tel. transmission to the Cell tower
is Encrypted.
However once it is fed to a regular computer what ever is going on between
the computers is not any more Tel. activity it is regular WIFI, and thus as
to be dealt with as mentioned in my previous post.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Falcon ITS on
On Jan 13, 10:34 pm, "zz" <z...(a)zz.com> wrote:
> Thanks also Miguel.  Would tethering or use the 'phone as modem' feature on
> the cell phone device on machine 'A' be detected from another different
> machine 'B' wireless software monitor and be considered a rogue access point
> even though machine 'A' like mentioned is using it's own cell phone
> service's network plan only and not trying to enter the other machine 'B's
> network?

Hello,

Yes, GSM phone data and voice conversations can be intercepted and
listened to / intercepted from tower to handset. It requires knowledge
and the use of specialized equipment being place in close proximity to
the handset.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9144898/Researchers_use_PC_to_crack_encryption_for_next_gen_GSM_networks

Anybody, anything can be hacked. How much effort/payoff is the
question. Choose your paranoia level and plan accordingly.

Miguel
http://www.falconits.com