From: zz on
Sorry newbie question, can wireless networks be detected from a regular
wired 'grounded' network machine?...or does the machine your using have to
be on a wireless network in order to detect other wireless networks? Thanks
in advance.

From: Lem on
zz wrote:
> Sorry newbie question, can wireless networks be detected from a regular
> wired 'grounded' network machine?...or does the machine your using have to
> be on a wireless network in order to detect other wireless networks? Thanks
> in advance.

You need a wireless adapter to detect wireless networks. Whether you are
connected to a network, wired or wireless, is not relevant.

Wireless = radio. You need a radio receiver (and a transmitter) to
interact with a wireless network.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: zz on
Thanks for the info Lem, appreciate it. Another newb question, can wireless
network monitoring software then track one's wireless activity when say
browsing the internet and sending/receiving personal emails from their own
cell phone device with one's own cell phone carrier?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Any Wireless signal can be intercepted while it is in the Air.
If the information that is in the signal is Not encrypted it can be easily
used by others.
Wireless Telephones encrypted the signal by default.
Wireless computers have to be set to encrypt the signal.
In general.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

From: zz on
So when using a Windows Mobile 6.1 device is used as 'tethering' a single pc
with a cell phone carrier's service then assuming the obvious that the
signal can be detected when monitored by a wireless software detection tool
(from a different machine on a different network within it's proximity)
would it be up to the cell phone carrier if it's encrypted or is there a
setting on the cell phone device that lists it? Thanks to both, very
interesting.