From: Jim Henriksen on
Dear Kue2:

Another blank page.

From: Jim Henriksen on
Dear Paul:

Thanks for the tip. I'm reluctant to try changing things when I don't
know what they are, e.g., chimneys, etc.

What I'm trying to do is extremely vanilla. It shouldn't be this difficult.

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
None the less, Paul has pointed you in the right direction. You need to
either disable the advanced features introduced in the Vista/Server2k8
TCP/IP networking stack, or upgrade your downlevel machines to at least
Vista.

In _some_ cases, upgrading your network card drivers to the latest version
available directly from the OEM will help, since the built in drivers aren't
always fully optimized. I'd start by trying that. But if that doesn't help,
then disabling advanced networking features is called for until you can
upgrade your XP machine(s) to Vista/Win7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: XS11E on
"Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam(a)MSN.com> wrote:

> Another place to look for help is the Win7 forum (there is no Win7
> newsgroup)

There IS a Windows7 newsgroup, it's alt.windows7.general which isn't
available on all servers but AIOE carries it among others...

http://news.aioe.org/

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Jim Henriksen on
Dear Charlie and other responders:

I tried fiddling around with throttling back the TCPIP advanced
features, per the suggestions offered above in this thread. While there
may (?) have been some improvement in transfer speeds, the basic problem
persists. In other words, Windows 7 is doing the same crappy things,
but only marginally faster, if faster at all.

All the difficulties I reported in my original post continue.

When it takes 2-3 minutes to transfer three files comprising a total of
4-5 MB, something is dreadfully wrong. When it takes 15-20 seconds for
a dialog box to pop up after the progress bar turns red, something is
dreadfully wrong. When files are read three times to accomplish a
simple file copy, something is dreadfully wrong. When Windows takes 45
seconds to "discover" files, something is dreadfully wrong. What is
there to discover? I've already told Windows which files to transfer.

My Windows 7 machine has a preloaded copy of Norton Antivirus. (I'll be
switching to Avast fairly soon.) Disabling NAV doesn't help, either.

What I'm trying to do is not rocket science. Having to "upgrade my
*downlevel* machines" is unacceptable. Transferring files between XP
and Windows 7 machines is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. What am I
missing?