From: nospam on
In article <m2iq4ruerz.fsf(a)revier.com>, Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net>
wrote:

> > ios devices are not intended to replace personal computers.
>
> And Personal Computers were never intended to be used for what most
> people use them for today ;-)

ken olsen of digital equipment corporation only thought a handful of
computers would be sold, total, and he couldn't see why anyone would
want one in their house.

oddly enough, people are saying the same thing about ipads, why would
you want an ipad when you can get a laptop. they just don't get it.
From: bj on
You are free to start your own company & produce the products you think
there's a market for.

If you're right about what's needed, you'll make money.
If not, you'll go broke.
But you'll have the device *you* want.
bj

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 11:33, Michelle Steiner quoted:
> And of course she dutifully took notes (longhand, on a notepad) also for
> the 147th time, carefully listing out the steps to each task, how many

If it were my mother, they'd be in Gregg shorthand. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

First Language Acquisition observed up—close & personal
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1349
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 17:28, AES wrote:
> A third potential problem is that it's an inherently Bad Thing whenever
> most any large-scale aspect of our basic environment or our basic
> infrastructure is controlled {"tightly controlled", in fact) by a single
> company, however insanely great that company or that infrastructure may
> seem at first: it's called monopoly.

Are you sure it's not called Microsoft? :-)

I remember when I worried that our (USA's) defense capability
seemed like it was becoming dependent on semiconductor plants
in other countries.

I worried even more when it looked like it was becoming dependent
on Microsoft. But to my relief, about that time, they discovered
Solaris, HPUX, and Linux.

And now I hear rumors of iPhone apps for soldiers, ...

--
Wes Groleau

Thinking it Through, Two
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=506
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 17:28, AES wrote:
> That is, we're people who genuinely need, and will continue to need, for
> our personal, professional, academic, creative, and even just
> avocational needs, the sort of fully and totally open, file-centric not
> app-centric information processing and IT capabilities that have been
> made available to us for a quarter of a century now by the Mac OS and by
> other personal computers. A closed and Apple-controlled iOS environment
> is not going to be an adequate replacement for this.

So try a Modbook. Or buy that touch-screen kit for a flat iMac.
Or just keep on using your Macbook.

Hmmm, not long ago we had a flurry of predictions of a touch-screen iMac
this summer. Which faded to silence before summer even started. . . . .

--
Wes Groleau

Free Reading in the FL Class
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1559