From: Panayiotis Karabassis on
Hi!

I have setup a local DNS server on my home network (bind9 on debian lenny).

The DNS server seems to be working fine when accessed directly (i.e.
through nslookup or by setting it as the primary nameserver for the
computer manually throught /etc/resolv.conf).

So I tried setting it as the primary nameserver for the router (and
rebooting the router).

However this does not work. On querying the router with nslookup the
request times out.

Thanks in advance!

Manuel Hofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are you maybe using your router as forwarder in your bind9 configuration?
>
> regards

Thank you for your reply. No, I am using my ISP's nameservers.

A little more info. I followed the article at [1]. Minus the stuff about
chroot. If it would help I can post the related config files. My router
is an Asus WL-AM604g. I have mailed ASUS.

[1] http://wizbox.org/archives/343

Regards,
Panayiotis

Hi,

On Monday 26 July 2010 13:56:53 Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have setup a local DNS server on my home network (bind9 on debian lenny).
>
> The DNS server seems to be working fine when accessed directly (i.e.
> through nslookup or by setting it as the primary nameserver for the
> computer manually throught /etc/resolv.conf).
>
> So I tried setting it as the primary nameserver for the router (and
> rebooting the router).
>
> However this does not work. On querying the router with nslookup the
> request times out.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> I have setup a local DNS server on my home network (bind9 on debian
> lenny).
>
> The DNS server seems to be working fine when accessed directly (i.e.
> through nslookup or by setting it as the primary nameserver for the
> computer manually throught /etc/resolv.conf).
>
> So I tried setting it as the primary nameserver for the router (and
> rebooting the router).
>
> However this does not work. On querying the router with nslookup the
> request times out.
Perhaps a silly thought, but home routers are usually configured to
access an external nameserver not one on the local network. Perhaps it
can't reach the nameserver.

Two thoughts come to mind:

1. see if you can traceroute the nameserver from somewhere off your
local network (make sure to traceroute to port 53)

2. look at your router config - see if its blocking port 53 - if so, try
unblocking it (note that this will open your nameserver to the world -
so you'd need to lock that down a bit)

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:56:53 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I have setup a local DNS server on my home network (bind9 on debian
> lenny).
>
> The DNS server seems to be working fine when accessed directly (i.e.
> through nslookup or by setting it as the primary nameserver for the
> computer manually throught /etc/resolv.conf).
>
> So I tried setting it as the primary nameserver for the router (and
> rebooting the router).

I'm not sure what are your goals with this step because the router hasn't
to resolve local dns queries, but bind9 :-?

> However this does not work. On querying the router with nslookup the
> request times out.

How are you exactly querying the router? Did you added the router's local
IP into the DNS zone?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón