From: Dash on
On 2010-07-07 19:48:27 -0600, Doug Jantzer said:

>>> Partition failed
>>> Partition failed with the error:
>>> File system formatter failed
>>
>> Make sure you are using a USB port on the computer, not a port on a keyboard.
>>
>> Some USB memory sticks have a locked U3 partition that prevents
>> reformatting via Disk Utility There is a utility to remove it:
>> <http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board/message?board.id=u3&thread.id=10
>> 66>
>
> I just tried partitioning, erasing, and copying files to a 16 GB drive I
> had around. Everything worked fine. Maybe I was just very unluckey and
> got 2 bad drives.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Of course I could use a 16 and an 8 GB drive instead of a 32. I only
> need a little over 20 GBs.

Just to add my .02 of a dollar... I have had all manner of problems
using USB memory sticks with Snow Leopard... deleting files didn't free
up space, became unusable after one transfer, etc. etc. Then when I
tried to format under Disk Utility, no matter what scheme or format
type, it would give the same response that you got. "Partition failed,
etc." what worked for me, was a little free program by HP Called
HPUSBDisk.exe. (Note the exe on the end, yup sorry its only for pc)
do a search on "hp USB disk tool" and you will find it. Older program
but reformats the drives beautifully on the pc and they are then
useable on the Mac, and I haven't had a problem since. Hope you can
give it a try. It's frustrating.

From: Doug Jantzer on
In article <4c42899f$0$17188$c11e2b56(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>,
Dash Riprock wrote:
> Just to add my .02 of a dollar... I have had all manner of problems
> using USB memory sticks with Snow Leopard... deleting files didn't free
> up space, became unusable after one transfer, etc. etc. Then when I
> tried to format under Disk Utility, no matter what scheme or format
> type, it would give the same response that you got. "Partition failed,
> etc." what worked for me, was a little free program by HP Called
> HPUSBDisk.exe. (Note the exe on the end, yup sorry its only for pc)
> do a search on "hp USB disk tool" and you will find it. Older program
> but reformats the drives beautifully on the pc and they are then
> useable on the Mac, and I haven't had a problem since. Hope you can
> give it a try. It's frustrating.

Thanks. I got the app but i already solved the problem by getting
Sandisk 16 and 8 GB drives. They worked just fine.

I'll keep that app though in case i run into the problem again.

Doug