From: Doug Jantzer on
I want to send about 20 GBs of .PDFs to some one.
They are mostly about 500-700 MBs with a few between
1 and 1.5 GBs. i purchased a no-name 32 GB thumb drive
off eBay, and it stopped copying at just under 3 GBs,
ejecting the disk with a message that it had been
improperly dismounted.

The Finder can�t complete the operation because some data in �5
(13201-13700) b� can�t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

I figured it was a crappy disk. I sent it back and they
refunded my money.

I then ordered a Kingston brand 32 GB drive... and it is
doing the same thing.

Is there a problem on my end?

the disk is formatted MS-DOS (FAT32).
Does that make a difference?
Should I try reformatting it?

Thanks
From: None of your business on
In article <doug-2F7A4D.21485206072010(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Doug Jantzer <doug(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> I want to send about 20 GBs of .PDFs to some one.
> They are mostly about 500-700 MBs with a few between
> 1 and 1.5 GBs. i purchased a no-name 32 GB thumb drive
> off eBay, and it stopped copying at just under 3 GBs,
> ejecting the disk with a message that it had been
> improperly dismounted.
>
> The Finder can�t complete the operation because some data in �5
> (13201-13700) b� can�t be read or written.
> (Error code -36)
>
> I figured it was a crappy disk. I sent it back and they
> refunded my money.
>
> I then ordered a Kingston brand 32 GB drive... and it is
> doing the same thing.
>
> Is there a problem on my end?
>
> the disk is formatted MS-DOS (FAT32).
> Does that make a difference?

Oh, yes.

> Should I try reformatting it?
>
> Thanks

FAT32 has problems with large files. Reformat it NTFS or HFS+ and you
should have no further problems. For NTFS on a Mac you'd have to install
a 3rd-party file system extension such as the (free) NTFS-3G or the (not
free) Paragon MacNTFS.
From: Doug Jantzer on
In article <schram-010FCB.22430706072010(a)newsfeed.aioe.org>,
Chris Schram <schram(a)webenet.net> wrote:

> In article <doug-2F7A4D.21485206072010(a)news.astraweb.com>,
> Doug Jantzer <doug(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I want to send about 20 GBs of .PDFs to some one.
> > They are mostly about 500-700 MBs with a few between
> > 1 and 1.5 GBs. i purchased a no-name 32 GB thumb drive
> > off eBay, and it stopped copying at just under 3 GBs,
> > ejecting the disk with a message that it had been
> > improperly dismounted.
> >
> > The Finder can�t complete the operation because some data in �5
> > (13201-13700) b� can�t be read or written.
> > (Error code -36)
> >
> > I figured it was a crappy disk. I sent it back and they
> > refunded my money.
> >
> > I then ordered a Kingston brand 32 GB drive... and it is
> > doing the same thing.
> >
> > Is there a problem on my end?
> >
> > the disk is formatted MS-DOS (FAT32).
> > Does that make a difference?
> > Should I try reformatting it?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Is the Mac you are attempting to copy from an older model that does not
> support USB 2.0? I have found that my USB 1.1 Macs are not happy dealing
> with flash drives over 2GB. On those older machines I get better, but
> not great, results rebooting while the flash drive is attached, and
> retrying the copy.

No, it's an early 2009 MBP with USB 2.
From: Doug Jantzer on
In article
<bite.me-02AECA.07510907072010@[74.209.136.95.rev.gaoland.net]>,
None of your business <bite.me(a)go.away.now> wrote:

> In article <doug-2F7A4D.21485206072010(a)news.astraweb.com>,
> Doug Jantzer <doug(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I want to send about 20 GBs of .PDFs to some one.
> > They are mostly about 500-700 MBs with a few between
> > 1 and 1.5 GBs. i purchased a no-name 32 GB thumb drive
> > off eBay, and it stopped copying at just under 3 GBs,
> > ejecting the disk with a message that it had been
> > improperly dismounted.
> >
> > The Finder can�t complete the operation because some data in �5
> > (13201-13700) b� can�t be read or written.
> > (Error code -36)
> >
> > I figured it was a crappy disk. I sent it back and they
> > refunded my money.
> >
> > I then ordered a Kingston brand 32 GB drive... and it is
> > doing the same thing.
> >
> > Is there a problem on my end?
> >
> > the disk is formatted MS-DOS (FAT32).
> > Does that make a difference?
>
> Oh, yes.
>
> > Should I try reformatting it?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> FAT32 has problems with large files. Reformat it NTFS or HFS+ and you
> should have no further problems. For NTFS on a Mac you'd have to install
> a 3rd-party file system extension such as the (free) NTFS-3G or the (not
> free) Paragon MacNTFS.

Disk Utility fails when it tries to format the disk to HFS+ (journaled
or not).

Now what... send it back too?
Perhaps get a couple of 16 GBs?
From: nospam on
In article <doug-F1D151.14425807072010(a)news.astraweb.com>, Doug Jantzer
<doug(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Disk Utility fails when it tries to format the disk to HFS+ (journaled
> or not).

sounds like it's defective.