From: Bob Ball on
OK, that's a shortening of a message that's entirely confusing.

The full message, trying to open a site to look into this very problem,
is "Safari can�t open
�http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/QTSS_and_Broadcasting_Admin_v10.
6.pdf� because Mac OS X doesn�t recognize Internet addresses starting
with �http:�.

On the surface, that's absurd. Below the surface, there's obviously
something I don't understand. From Googling, I see that others have
raised similar questions, but about different protocols, i.e., irc or
news or mailto. A search of a few years of this group's posts don't show
me any clues, although I guess MTNW searched just the headers.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? A helping app? A plug-in?

--
Bob Ball
If you want to think positive thoughts, surround yourself with positive people.
From: None of your business on
In article <bobball-BFEA5F.21422906072010(a)news.chartermi.net>,
Bob Ball <bobball(a)chartermi.nope.net> wrote:

> OK, that's a shortening of a message that's entirely confusing.
>
> The full message, trying to open a site to look into this very problem,
> is "Safari can�t open
> �http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/QTSS_and_Broadcasting_Admin_v10.
> 6.pdf� because Mac OS X doesn�t recognize Internet addresses starting
> with �http:�.

There's an invisible character in there somewhere. Try selecting the URL
starting at 'www.apple.com' instead of including the entire line. Your
problem should go away.

From: David Empson on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <1jlabtl.idxwve1dn81xwN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > J Burns <burns4(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

[...]

> > > I don't get it. I unchecked the "enable plug-ins" box, copied
> > > http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/QTSS_and_Broadcasting_Admin_v
> > > 10.6.pdf from your original post, pasted it to Safari, and it opened.
> >
> > As the file in question is a PDF, and this is relating to plugins, there
> > could be an interaction with a PDF viewing plugin, such as the one from
> > Adobe Reader.
>
> Why is someone on a Mac using Adobe Reader?

I know many Mac users who are using Adobe Reader, mostly out of habit,
because they were using it back in the Mac OS 9 days and are sticking
with what they know. On occasion I show them how far Preview has come,
and some of them have switched.

I have Adobe Reader installed on my computer, but it is not my default
PDF viewer and I don't have the web browser plugin enabled. I use it on
rare occasions when I need a second opinion about an issue with a PDF
that Preview is not displaying correctly.

For example, there is a recurring issue since around 10.5.0 where PDFs
created using a specific tool called "Crystal Reports" (which runs on
Windows) are displayed by Preview with a black rounded rectangle around
certain items on the page, so thick that it overlaps some of the content
and makes it hard to read. Adobe Reader doesn't display those rounded
rectangles, and my HP LaserJet 6MP (with Adobe Postscript engine)
doesn't print them.

Invoices from my ISP happen to be generated using that software, so I
see this all the time.

I filed a bug report with Apple about it, and they closed it as a
duplicate without giving me an explanation. That was over a year ago,
and I'm still seeing it as of Preview in 10.6.3.

I don't know whether the issue is a bad element in the PDF (which
happens to be ignored by Adobe's PDF engine), or a bug in Apple's PDF
engine.

Given lack of action on Apple's part, I'm inclined to suspect a bad
element in the PDF, but I don't have much hope of getting a Windows
product vendor to investigate a problem that only affects Mac users in
Preview, especially given that Adobe Reader can be used as a workaround.

(Even if they did make a change, their customers would need to update to
a later version, and that still doesn't solve the problem for all the
existing PDFs I have which don't display properly in Preview.)

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: John McWilliams on
Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <1jlah2l.1wbyhj294badN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:.

>> (Even if they did make a change, their customers would need to update to
>> a later version, and that still doesn't solve the problem for all the
>> existing PDFs I have which don't display properly in Preview.)
>
> Righto, thanks. Useful bit of info to file away. Given we have Preview,
> I'm almost surprised that Adobe continues, then, with a Mac version.

I bet that Reader is pretty easy to pull out of Acrobat, which for $
reasons they'll continue to support and develop.

--
john mcwilliams
From: AES on
In article <1jlah2l.1wbyhj294badN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> . . . and my HP LaserJet 6MP . . .

Any post from a NG participant whose contribution contains this
throwaway line should be accorded special respect; anyone
who still uses a 6MP is self-evidently someone of more than
normal wisdom and time-tested and conservative judgement.