From: daniele tavella on
I'm new on Debian. I use Ubuntu 9.04, an I found it easy. I would like
use Debian, but for internet connection I use an internet key Huawey
E169, and Debian 5.04 can't manage it.
I'm not good on computer, but I hope someone helps me.

Thanks a lot, Daniele

daniele tavella wrote:
> I'm new on Debian. I use Ubuntu 9.04, an I found it easy. I would like
> use Debian,
Ok.
> but for internet connection I use an internet key Huawey
> E169, and Debian 5.04 can't manage it.

It looks like it is `Huawei E169'

Did you read/try

* http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-858032.html
* http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=29791
* http://www.greenhughes.com/content/huawei-e169g-easy-way
* http://www.dbe.cc/?p=36
* http://www.debianhelp.org/node/14439

?

> but I hope someone helps me.

Sure.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

From: Alexander Batischev on
Hi!

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 09:40:52PM +0200, daniele tavella wrote:
> I'm new on Debian. I use Ubuntu 9.04, an I found it easy. I would like
> use Debian, but for internet connection I use an internet key Huawey
> E169, and Debian 5.04 can't manage it.
> I'm not good on computer, but I hope someone helps me.
I don't have Huawei E169 myself and never experienced configuring it under
Debian, but I googled a little and found out that there was same topic in
debian-russian recently. Here's translated (also little shorted and modified)
"recipe for success":

> After installation if this program[1] I configured kppp to work with ttyUSB0
> with all standard options except right initialization strings:
> ATZ;ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0;
> AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3g.utel.ua"
>
> and also added DNS addresses by Utel. I also added them to /etc/resolv.conf
> and set 'i' attribute for both files by envoking this command:
>
> $ chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
> $ chattr +i /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
>
> � http://www.greenhughes.com/content/huawei-e169g-easy-way

Some notes:

Please pay attention to the name of device - this guy tried to work with
ttyUSB2, which was an error because ttyUSB2 was card-reader or something).

Also note that author configured his device for Utel provider, so initializing
string may differ.

And the last one: it was suggested to install resolvconf package instead of
locking resolv.conf files (you can simply forget that you made this file
not avaliable for editing, which can cause a lot of problems in future).
In addition it was proposed to modify /etc/network/interfaces to look like the
following (it's just a part of file):

inet utel inet wvdial
dns-nameservers DNS1 DNS2

Hope that will help you.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

On Sat, 8 May 2010, daniele tavella wrote:

> I'm new on Debian. I use Ubuntu 9.04, an I found it easy. I would like
> use Debian, but for internet connection I use an internet key Huawey
> E169, and Debian 5.04 can't manage it.

What is an internet key and did you mean to publish it for all the world
to read?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 02:02:01PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> What is an internet key and did you mean to publish it for all the world
> to read?
Internet key is modern kind of modem. It uses mobile phone network to access.
Key looks just like usual USB pendrive, but it have place for SIM card (which
is similar to your mobile phone's card). I think you can find more detailed
(and professional) explanation on the Internet.

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev