From: Jordon Bedwell on
On 7/27/10 2:26 AM, Joe wrote:
> On 27/07/10 06:56, Long Wind wrote:
>> (sorry, this question isn't debian specific)
>> I have a P3/550, SECC2
>> I get its manual from Intel
>> It says max T junction is 80 C
>> The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature
>> but is the reported value equal to T junction?
>>

> That doesn't sound right. A typical maximum junction temperature for
> most semiconductors would be about 200C. 80C might be right for the
> maximum temperature for the heatsink area on the CPU package, which in
> those days would probably be the whole top of the case.
>
> A junction temperature of 80C would imply a heatsink temperature of
> about 20C-30C, which would be difficult to maintain, and probably no
> more than about 10MHz clock speed. Doesn't sound like a P3.

I'm sorry but lolwut, Joe? The T-Junction max for most Intel processors
is between 60-100c and your processor will shut itself down when it
reaches these temperatures... 200c, lol, this isn't a mobile processor.
Anyways, Pentium 3's do not use Tjunction they use Tcase, which is
what your motherboard is reporting, and for most Pentium 3's it is 68�C
which means if you were to try and guess Tjunction if it were there, it
would be around, 80-85c (depending on which way you round) max internal
temperature before it shuts down.

And Joe, in the future, don't give false information while confusing
TJunction with Junction and the definition of "TJunction" on Google.