From: Julien Vehent on
Hi Debian folks,

I was considering testing this little piece of hardware that guruplug is.
http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GuruPlug-Server

Very attractive, but no vga output. So, next question is: how do I install
lenny without a display ?...

Any clue ?

Julien

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:58:50PM +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hi Debian folks,
>
> I was considering testing this little piece of hardware that guruplug is.
> http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GuruPlug-Server
>
> Very attractive, but no vga output. So, next question is: how do I install
> lenny without a display ?...

Through a serial console?

The Debian Installer (in text mode) should run just fine there.

I'm not really sure if the Debian Installer supports that platform
already. If not, you'll probably need a different method of
bootstrapping. E.g. throough debootstrap from the existing system
installed there.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/ may also apply.

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:58:50PM +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hi Debian folks,
>
> I was considering testing this little piece of hardware that guruplug is.
> http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GuruPlug-Server
>
> Very attractive, but no vga output. So, next question is: how do I install
> lenny without a display ?...
>
> Any clue ?

If you haven't already purchased the hardware, please consider looking at
these fine little computers: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

There's also a Voyage Linux target for this hardware platform:
http://linux.voyage.hk/ Basically Debian that boots from compact flash, runs
in RAM, and retains and has apt capability.

Using Voyage from an ALix without VGA, one only needs to power up the board
and SSH for configuration. There's also a serial console available.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:59:55PM -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:58:50PM +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:
> > Hi Debian folks,
> >
> > I was considering testing this little piece of hardware that guruplug is.
> > http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=GuruPlug-Server
> >
> > Very attractive, but no vga output. So, next question is: how do I install
> > lenny without a display ?...
> >
> > Any clue ?
>
> If you haven't already purchased the hardware, please consider looking at
> these fine little computers: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> There's also a Voyage Linux target for this hardware platform:
> http://linux.voyage.hk/ Basically Debian that boots from compact flash, runs
> in RAM, and retains and has apt capability.
>
> Using Voyage from an ALix without VGA, one only needs to power up the board
> and SSH for configuration. There's also a serial console available.

I installed Debian on my Alix board. I used a PXE network boot through a
serial console. Worked just fine.