From: Adam Hardy on
This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?

I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?

Thanks
Adam

Adam Hardy <adam.ant(a)cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
>in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
>program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?
>
>I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
>it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
>megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?

You could try Audacity – it has a lot of features, but not that many
dependencies I think.

HTH,

Claudius
--
Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

http://chubig.net/

Claudius Hubig on 25/05/10 12:37, wrote:
> Adam Hardy <adam.ant(a)cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>> This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just plugged
>> in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is there an easy
>> program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to test it?
>>
>> I just tried with bplay but it wants me to have /dev/dsp which I haven't got -
>> it should be using udev shouldn't it? I read the description of elisa and it has
>> megs of gnome stuff to install as well - is it worth it?
>
> You could try Audacity – it has a lot of features, but not that many
> dependencies I think.

OK I guess my search terms must have been bad! Audacity didn't come up when I
used "sound recorder".

Anyway, audacity is great - although it's proved that my mic is bust.

Thanks
Adam

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:32:24 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> This has got to be a simple question: I have a sound card and I've just
> plugged in a microphone that I want to test (not USB obviously). Is
> there an easy program I can install onto lenny/xfce that I can use to
> test it?

If you've got "alsa-mixer" package installed, "arecord" could help you to
test your microphone.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

arecord|aplay

then play with the sliders in alsamixer.

:)

--Jasper.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5