From: Thierry Chatelet on
Hi,
I did a fraich install of squeeze. All OK "except" two things:
The dvd drive is not seen. Fstab seems OK:
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
Inserting a cd in it then dmesg does not show anything. K3b says there isn' t
a optical drive, kinfocenter does not show it either. Note that it was OK with
lenny. I need tips to go further.
The second thing is the sound under iceweasel, but, one thing at a time...
Thierry

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hi,
> I did a fraich install of squeeze. All OK "except" two things:
> The dvd drive is not seen. Fstab seems OK:
> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
> Inserting a cd in it then dmesg does not show anything. K3b says there isn' t
> a optical drive, kinfocenter does not show it either. Note that it was OK with
> lenny. I need tips to go further.
> The second thing is the sound under iceweasel, but, one thing at a time...
> Thierry

Insert a cd/dvd media known to work in the drive and mount it manually,
see if that works.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:03:57 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> I did a fraich install of squeeze. All OK "except" two things: The dvd
> drive is not seen. Fstab seems OK: /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0
> udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0 Inserting a cd in it then dmesg does
> not show anything. K3b says there isn' t a optical drive, kinfocenter
> does not show it either. Note that it was OK with lenny. I need tips to
> go further.

dmesg | grep DVD
dmesg | grep sr0

> The second thing is the sound under iceweasel, but, one thing at a
> time... Thierry

What kind of sound, what source? Movies, flash video or just audio
formats..?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 14:59:31 Aioanei Rares wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I did a fraich install of squeeze. All OK "except" two things:
> > The dvd drive is not seen. Fstab seems OK:
> > /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
> > Inserting a cd in it then dmesg does not show anything. K3b says there
> > isn' t a optical drive, kinfocenter does not show it either. Note that it
> > was OK with lenny. I need tips to go further.
> > The second thing is the sound under iceweasel, but, one thing at a
> > time... Thierry
>
> Insert a cd/dvd media known to work in the drive and mount it manually,
> see if that works.

Well, then I get a:
'special device /dev/hdb does not exist'
Looking at lshw, my CD/DVD drive does not show up.
Thierry

Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 14:59:31 Aioanei Rares wrote:
>
>> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I did a fraich install of squeeze. All OK "except" two things:
>>> The dvd drive is not seen. Fstab seems OK:
>>> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
>>> Inserting a cd in it then dmesg does not show anything. K3b says there
>>> isn' t a optical drive, kinfocenter does not show it either. Note that it
>>> was OK with lenny. I need tips to go further.
>>> The second thing is the sound under iceweasel, but, one thing at a
>>> time... Thierry
>>>
>> Insert a cd/dvd media known to work in the drive and mount it manually,
>> see if that works.
>>

> Well, then I get a:
> 'special device /dev/hdb does not exist'
> Looking at lshw, my CD/DVD drive does not show up.
> Thierry

What does uname -a and lshw -v say?