From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă on
Stephen Powell wrote:

> If you've been around that long, then why is it that you didn't know to
> reply to the list instead of to me personally? Please post *and* reply
> *only* to the list. You can CC someone if they ask for a CC, but always
> include the list as one of your recipients.

As I said my desktop is broken, and I had to use some other computers to
set up an "emergency" e-mail account to be able to subscribe to the list
and post. I normally use mutt which knows how to reply to the lists (L).
I use now, here, icedove, I don't know why it sent you the e-mail
instead of the list. Sorry about that.

> That is not the proper procedure. Read the release notes.
> The most important step you missed is to issue "aptitude dist-upgrade"
> *before* the "aptitude full-upgrade", but there are other steps you left
> out as well. I speak from experience. I tried to upgrade a system from
> Etch to Lenny by "winging it" and not following the upgrade procedure
> listed in the release notes, and my system was almost unusable. Fortunately
> I had another system on which I had installed Lenny directly, and by comparing
> installed packages between the install-Lenny-from-scratch system and the
> upgrade-from-Etch-to-Lenny system I was eventually able to recover my system.
> But it took many days. Following the upgrade procedure in the release notes
> is very important. Take it from one who learned that the hard way.

It looks like I also had to learn the hard way. I never had similar
problems before with any upgrade...

> Neither do I. Maybe someone else has some ideas, but I'm out. I don't know
> about you, but I know what I would do if it were me. I'd reinstall from
> scratch. (I always keep /home in a separate partition for just such
> occasions as this.) I'd reinstall from scratch and reformat the / partition.
> If you don't have /home as a separate partition then back up the /home directory
> somewhere first so you won't lose your personal files. I strongly recommend
> that you make /home a separate partition in your new install, if it isn't now.

Yes, this is what I will do on Monday. I have /home, /usr, /var and
/usr/local on separate partitions, so I will not cry after the data on
the / partition.

> I also recommend that you use the latest "daily build" development version
> of the Debian installer if you want to install Squeeze directly.
> That's the only version of the D-I that I trust to install Squeeze at this
> point. Good luck.

I think I know what went wrong. I used an older net-install disk from
testing when lenny was not stable. I misslabeled the CD. My bad!

> If I had known in advace how much work it was going to be to recover my damaged
> system from a bad upgrade attempt, I wouldn't have even tried. I would have
> reinstalled from scratch. You've got your system hosed up much worse than
> mine was. I recommend that you reinstall from scratch. And next time,
> read (and carefully follow) the release notes when you do an upgrade.

Lesson learned.

Sorry for the noise.

Best regards,
Ionel

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:35:43 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> That is not the proper procedure. Read the release notes.
>>> The most important step you missed is to issue "aptitude dist-upgrade"
>>> *before* the "aptitude full-upgrade", but there are other steps you left
>>> out as well.
>>
>> You must have meant:
>> issue "aptitude safe-upgrade" *before* the "aptitude full-upgrade"
>
> Correct. My mistake. Good catch!

No worries.

On Fri,09.Apr.10, 11:58:32, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ionel ;)

> I just migrate my desktop from lenny to squeeze and after installing
> all new packages and reboot the system hang at the boot process
> asking for the root password because it can't find /dev/sdaX, where
> X=2,6,7,8,9. All are valid partitions. root is /dev/sda5 and it is
> the only partition mounted. fdisk /dev/sda says that /dev/sda not
> found. Indeed ls /dev/sd* shows only /dev/sdY, with Y=c,d,e,f,f1, no
> /dev/sdZ, where Z=a*,b*.

Like others have said, this is a device naming issue. In order to boot
you must fix your fstab, preferably to use something else than device
names. Labels are easier to set up by hand IMO.

After that you have to make sure the 'root=' parameter in grub is
correct. The easiest way is to 'e' (edit) the respective line at the
grub boot menu and experiment until you find the correct device name.

> I try MAKEDEV sda but it says that because
> .udev is present it must abort.

I think that is deprecated since a long time (probably since udev is
around).

> I can't use the system in this state. Any ideas?
>
> If nothing I will try to boot with knoppix or the net-install
> testing CD and chroot into the system to attempt a kernel
> compilation. But I am not sure if the kernel is problematic at the
> moment.

A new kernel could help only if it assigns the same device names as you
have in menu.lst/fstab, but I think it's the bad approach.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. You can usually also reach me on #debian-ro (OFTC)
Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:

> I think I know what went wrong. I used an older net-install disk from
> testing when lenny was not stable. I misslabeled the CD. My bad!

Sorry, that was about another problem I had. It was late when I wrote
the above message. While installing a new system (using the graphical
install) the system hang while trying to install packages. I noticed
that in syslog it was a question if I am sure I want to install some
packages, because they could not be authentificated. I kill that process
and I regain control over the install script and I skip that install
step (which I did after the reboot).

Again, sorry for the noise.

Ionel

Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just migrate my desktop from lenny to squeeze and after installing all
> new packages and reboot the system hang at the boot process asking for
> the root password because it can't find /dev/sdaX, where X=2,6,7,8,9.
> All are valid partitions. root is /dev/sda5 and it is the only partition
> mounted. fdisk /dev/sda says that /dev/sda not found. Indeed ls /dev/sd*
> shows only /dev/sdY, with Y=c,d,e,f,f1, no /dev/sdZ, where Z=a*,b*. I
> try MAKEDEV sda but it says that because .udev is present it must abort.
>
> I can't use the system in this state. Any ideas?

It is funny to mention that booting with a rescue disk and making
a tar file with /dev/sdaX files,which can be used then to (re-)make the
/dev/sdaX at the normal boot make the system usable again.

So, it looks like udev doesn't want to make /dev/sdaX or even worse
it simply deletes those entries...

Ionel